[comp.org.ieee] "What is Object-Oriented Programming?" by Stroustrup

karam@sce.carleton.ca (Gerald Karam) (03/01/89)

In article <91533@sun.uucp> dhare@sun.UUCP (Dwight Hare) writes:
>In article <4736@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> jste@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Joshua Stein) writes:
>
>I took this as an opportunity to play with my new OCR system.  I hope that
>I'm not violating any netnews rules by posting a copyrighted article.
>
> ... illegal reprint deleted....

i am afraid you have violated copyright laws. posting a excerpt is one thing,
even photocopy in small quantities for research is ok, but blatant
redistribution without permission is quite illegal, even if it is over the net.

i hope you have a good lawyer because ieee has you cold.

gerald karam

daveb@geaclib.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (03/05/89)

From article <558@sce.carleton.ca>, by karam@sce.carleton.ca (Gerald Karam):
> i am afraid you have violated copyright laws. posting a excerpt is one thing,
> even photocopy in small quantities for research is ok, but blatant
> redistribution without permission is quite illegal, even if it is over the net.

If it was short, and posted for fair use, IEEE will probably not consider
any action.  See the RISKS article on european/american copyright for
a topical discussion...

--dave (sue? you mean SPEND MONEY!!?) c-b
--
 David Collier-Brown.  | yunexus!lethe!dave
 Interleaf Canada Inc. |

sms@sugar.hackercorp.com (Stanley M. Sutton) (03/06/89)

Although it was not cross posted to this newsgroup, the individual
did get in contact with the IEEE and get after the fact permission
to post the article.  The individual involved also posted appologies.

Look in comp.lang.c++ if you are interested in the discussion.

The IEEE did NOT give blanket permission to post, but may give permission
to post articles about specific news group interests, IF they and the
author(s) are contacted in advance.