[comp.org.ieee] SS numbers

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (05/23/89)

  SS Numbers were also originally intended to be for SS and/or
income tax purposes only.  Cards not *that* long ago (early
1960s) even declared,

   "For tax purposes only - not to be used for identification."

  That's totally changed.  Now everybody *demands* it -- and,
even when you open up a *non-interest bearing* checking account,
the bank is required to tell the Income Robbery Syndicate if
you refuse to give your SS number.

  Also, I once had a credit company tell me that they could not
get my credit record without my SS number -- altho just a few
days before, I had eyewitnessed another firm do so!  I told them
that, and they maintained their story.

  So, the promise that the SS number would not become and ID
joins a long list of government promises to bite the dust.   Me,
I quite believing the little twits in Washington *long* ago.

Jeff Daiell

P. S.  Some States ask for it when you register to vote.
       Just Say No.

--
  If a hungry man has water, and a thirsty man has bread,
  Then if they trade, be not dismayed, they both come out ahead.

                                   -- Don Paarlberg

duncan@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (05/26/89)

In article <4268@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:

>  SS Numbers were also originally intended to be for SS and/or
>income tax purposes only.  Cards not *that* long ago (early
>1960s) even declared,
>
>   "For tax purposes only - not to be used for identification."

I have one of those old cards.  It says:

	"For social security and tax purposes - not for identification."

And I had it explained to me that it meant that the card was not sufficient
for identification purposes, i.e., when you needed to prove who you were, it
could not be used to do so.  It was not, according to what I have been told,
intended that the number itself was not to be used for identification purposes.

>  So, the promise that the SS number would not become and ID
>joins a long list of government promises to bite the dust.

According to the explanation given to me, there was never any promise of the
SS number as an ID.  I can believe this was what many people were told and
what they thought, but in the mid/late-50's, this is NOT what I was told.

Speaking only for myself, of course, I am...
Scott P. Duncan (duncan@ctt.bellcore.com OR ...!bellcore!ctt!duncan)
                (Bellcore, 444 Hoes Lane  RRC 1H-210, Piscataway, NJ  08854)
                (201-699-3910 (w)   201-463-3683 (h))

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (05/26/89)

It is my understanding that during the debate on creating the SS
system, supporters promised that the number would not become
a Federal ID number.

Jeff Daiell

--

rickc@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Rick Clements) (06/09/89)

In article <16421@bellcore.bellcore.com> duncan@ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) writes:
>According to the explanation given to me, there was never any promise of the
>SS number as an ID.  I can believe this was what many people were told and
>what they thought, but in the mid/late-50's, this is NOT what I was told.

In the late 70's, the company I was working for at the time, went to SS
numbers for the company ID.  They said the purpose was so we could use
or ID badges for ID.  The result was the local stores quit taking them for
ID.

A friend of mine called the SS dept..  They said the SS number SOULDN'T
be used for ID.  They suggested he call the ACLU.
--
Rick Clements (RickC@pogo.WV.TEK.COM)

merriman@ccavax.camb.com (George Merriman -- CCA/NY) (06/11/89)

In article <7365@pogo.WV.TEK.COM>, rickc@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Rick Clements) writes:
> A friend of mine called the SS dept..  They said the SS number SOULDN'T
> be used for ID.  They suggested he call the ACLU.
> --

When I got drafted in 1968 my Army service number was my SS number.

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (06/12/89)

If SS numbers aren't supposed to be used for ID (and the old ones used
to say this on the card), then why are they the most often used option
for verification on the Immigration I-9 form?

Mark
--
Mark Smith     |  "Be careful when looking into the distance,       |All Rights
61 Tenafly Road|that you do not miss what is right under your nose."| Reserved

dhf@linus.UUCP (David H. Friedman) (06/13/89)

   Please move this discussion to another newsgroup.

-30-

duncan@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (06/14/89)

Given the number of instances in which it is clear that the SS# is used for a
variety of identification purposes, at least electronically, does anyone know
the official government position on this today?  (I have previously posted my
experience in the 50's when I got a card:  I was told the CARD could not be
used for identification purposes, i.e., it was not like a driver's license.)