[comp.org.ieee] Standards, what standards?

neff@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Randall B. Neff) (07/19/89)

Actually, the current implementation plan of issuing IEEE standards in
machine readable form could be considered, in one sense, as an admission
of failure (or just lack of success) of the IEEE standards group.

Consider the implementation, on the most popular (read widely available)
``computer'':

The IBM pc (or clone) architecture:	not an IEEE standard
MS DOS:					not an IEEE standard
CGA, EGA, VGA:				not an IEEE standard
HyperTRANS:				not an IEEE standard (Proprietary!)

An alternative question might be:  why aren't IEEE standards more popular?

Randall Neff       neff@anna.stanford.edu

hughes@ns.network.com (Jim Hughes x1676) (07/19/89)

Is there anyone from IEEE listening, or are we all just flaming in the
wind?

jim
hughes@network.com

mujica@ra.cs.ucla.edu (S. Mujica) (07/20/89)

on 19 Jul 89 14:09:52 GMT,
hughes@ns.network.com (Jim Hughes x1676) said:
> Sender: hughes@ns.network.com (Jim Hughes x1676)

> Is there anyone from IEEE listening, or are we all just flaming in the
> wind?

> jim
> hughes@network.com

Does IEEE have an e-mail address?  In any case it is interesting to
see the reaction to the Institue's annoouncement.

What about polling what would be the preferred hypertext form for this
kind of publication?   We could send the results to IEEE officials in
case they are not reading this.

Sergio Mujica		mujica@cs.ucla.edu
Computer Science Department, UCLA

fwb@demon.siemens.com (Frederic W. Brehm) (07/20/89)

In article <1494@ns.network.com> hughes@ns.UUCP (Jim Hughes x1676) writes:
>Is there anyone from IEEE listening, or are we all just flaming in the
>wind?

I just handed a paper copy of the entire discussion to Ken Anderson (the
president of the IEEE computer society).  He said that he will forward it
to the right people.  The Message-ID's of articles I have collected are
attached to the end of this note.  If I have missed any, please send them
to Ken at

	kra@demon.siemens.com
or
	...!princeton!siemens!demon!kra

Please don't fill his mailbox with flames (they belong here :-) or other
comments (which also belong here).  He's a pretty busy guy and will
ignore junk mail.

The Message-ID:
 <8014@hoptoad.uucp> <1278@intercon.UUCP> <214@sierra.stanford.edu>
 <MUJICA.89Jul17153700@ra.cs.ucla.edu> <IYkngdS00Ukm81NV1X@andrew.cmu.edu>
 <1491@ns.network.com> <218@sierra.stanford.edu> <10766@brunix.UUCP>
 <33285@apple.Apple.COM> <1494@ns.network.com> <472@arc.UUCP>
 <MUJICA.89Jul19104303@ra.cs.ucla.edu>

Fred
--
Frederic W. Brehm	Siemens Corporate Research	Princeton, NJ
fwb@demon.siemens.com	-or-	princeton!siemens!demon!fwb

lumsdon@tofacsa.arpa (Lumsdon) (07/21/89)

How about EtherNet, RS232C, RS422, RS423 ? CSMA CD, CSMA CA ?
IEEE 488? IEEE floating point numbers?

Nubus? VMEbus?
Aren't some of these IEEE standards?

lumsdon%dtoa1.navy.mil@dtrc.arpa

camp@m2.csc.ti.com (Clyde Camp) (07/22/89)

In article <596@dtix.ARPA> lumsdon@tofacsa.UUCP (Esther Lumsdon - Code: 1411) writes:
>How about EtherNet, RS232C, RS422, RS423 ? CSMA CD, CSMA CA ?
>IEEE 488? IEEE floating point numbers?
>
>Nubus? VMEbus?
>Aren't some of these IEEE standards?
>
>lumsdon%dtoa1.navy.mil@dtrc.arpa

The local area network standards are IEEE 802.x sponsored by the
Computer Society's Technical Committee on Computer Communications and
all fall under the 44 or so 802.x committees (Chair - Maris Graube.)

RSS232C, RSS422, RSS423 are EIA standards.

NuBus (IEEE 1196), VME (IEEE 1014), Multibus-I/II (IEEE 796/1296),
Futurebus (IEEE 896), Floating Point (IEEE 754), S100 Bus (IEEE 696), STD
Bus (IEEE 961) and others are IEEE standards sponsored by the Computer
Society's Microprocessor Standards Subcommittee (which I chair.)

IEEE 488 is sponsored by the IEEE Instrument and Measurement Society.

BTW - I inadverdantly (R)eplied to someone instead of (F)orwarding
with the names and addresses of who in the IEEE to contact about this
as well as some other info.  I would appreciate whoever it was
forwarding it back to the net since I have lost the text and would
rather not regenerate it.  Thanks in advance.

Clyde