[comp.org.ieee] Information about P896.2

P.Rocha@ucl-cs.UUCP (09/20/89)

From: Paulo Valverde Rocha <P.Rocha@uk.ac.ucl.cs>

Can anyone help tell me how I can have a copy of the IEEE
P896.2 (Futurebus)?

I know I can get the standards (e.g. IEEE Std. 896.1)from
the service center but what about proposals?

Thanks

+-----------------------------+---------------------------------------------+
Paulo Valverde de L. P. Rocha |   JANET:procha@uk.ac.ucl.cs
Department of Computer Science|  BITNET:procha%uk.ac.ucl.cs@UKACRL
University College London     |Internet:procha%cs.ucl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Gower Street                  | ARPANet:procha@cs.ucl.ac.uk
London WC1E 6BT               |    UUCP:...!mcvax!ukc!ucl-cs!procha
England                       |     tel: +44 (01) 387 7050 x 3719
+-----------------------------+---------------------------------------------+

camp@m2.csc.ti.com (Clyde Camp) (10/13/89)

In article <407@ucl-cs.UUCP> P.Rocha@ucl-cs.UUCP writes:
>From: Paulo Valverde Rocha <P.Rocha@uk.ac.ucl.cs>
>

>Can anyone help tell me how I can have a copy of the IEEE
>P896.2 (Futurebus)?

There is no IEEE 896.2 at this point.  There is only the IEEE/CS
P896.2 Working Group's draft which has not undergone Sponsor Ballot.
The 896 project has been restructured so that (after the revision is
balloted and approved next year) 896.1 will be the logical
specification of the bus and 896.2 will be the physical specification.
Most likely they will be bound together since one does not make sense
without the other.  In any case, they are available now only to
members and observers of the Working Group which charges a
cost-of-reproduction and mailing fee.  Sometime early next year, the
unapproved P896.1 and P896.2 drafts will be made available at
reproduction cost through the Computer Society for 6-months or so to
gather public comment before the official Sponsor Ballot.

If you wish to join the Working Group, either as a member or observer,
contact the chair, Dr. Paul Borrill, at Sun Microsystems - 415/688-9025.

Clyde Camp
Chair, IEEE/CS Microprocessor Standards Committee - Sponsor, IEEE 896.n

ragge@nada.kth.se (Ragnar Sundblad) (10/24/89)

>In article <407@ucl-cs.UUCP> P.Rocha@ucl-cs.UUCP writes:
>>Can anyone help tell me how I can have a copy of the IEEE
>>P896.2 (Futurebus)?

Excuse a stupid question, but this sounds interresting:
Could someone please sum up what it is all about? (Before I order the spec)
/ragge@nada.kth.se

aglew@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Andy-Krazy-Glew) (10/28/89)

>There is no IEEE 896.2 at this point.  There is only the IEEE/CS
>P896.2 Working Group's draft which has not undergone Sponsor Ballot.
>The 896 project has been restructured so that (after the revision is
>balloted and approved next year) 896.1 will be the logical
>specification of the bus and 896.2 will be the physical specification.
>
>Sometime early next year, the unapproved P896.1 and P896.2 drafts will
>be made available at reproduction cost through the Computer Society
>for 6-months or so to gather public comment before the official
>Sponsor Ballot.

I have read draft versions of FUTUREBUS and FUTUREBUS+ proposals.
These are marked THIS IS AN UNAPPROVED DOCUMENT. DO NOT SPECIFY OR
CLAIM CONFORMANCE TO THIS DOCUMENT.

Is it permissible to mention features of the proposed FUTUREBUS[+]
standard in papers? In publications? If one is not able to join the TC
[see note below]?
    By mention, I mean statements of the form "The proposed FUTUREBUS
standard contains..." -- suitably footnoted as to the tentative nature
of any such data.

----

Note: I wouldn't mind participating in the TC, just have no fund$ to be able
    to participate usefully.
--
Andy "Krazy" Glew,  Motorola MCD,    	    	    aglew@urbana.mcd.mot.com
1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801, USA.          {uunet!,}uiucuxc!udc!aglew

My opinions are my own; I indicate my company only so that the reader
may account for any possible bias I may have towards our products.