[comp.org.ieee] Professional Engineer

rwp@cup.portal.com (Roger William Preisendefer) (09/26/89)

I am a recent (within the last 18 months) graduate in Electrical Engineering.
I would like to add Professional Engineer to that, but have no idea how
or where the test might be.  If anyone could point me in the direction of
some reference material, preparation books, or general information on this
test, please email me at

rwp@cup.portal.com

I am in the Pittsburgh area of Pennsylvania, so any help relating to there
would be particularly useful.

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon) (09/29/89)

In Virginia and Maryland, the state governments administer EIT and PE
exams, and collect fees. There should be some agency in the Pennsylvania
government that does these same things, although the name might not
give you an abvious clue.  If one of your professors is a PE, he or
she would certainly know the procedures. If you didn't get your BS in
Pittsburgh, then you could ask someone in a local university's EE department,
or ask your local Information Referral Center for directions.

In Virginia and Maryland (and, I suspect, all states in the USA), one
must pass the EIT exam, fulfill a work-years requirement and pass the
PE exam, to become a PE. The work-years requirement usually has criteria
attached to it such as:  the work must be engineering in nature, you
must be supervised by another engineer, you must keep some sort of records,
etc.

The EIT test is a general test; ME's, EE's, CE's and ChE's all take
the same EIT test. PE tests cover your field only.

_Many_ universities are EIT test sites.

I only know about Virginia and Maryland, as I haven't lived anywhere
else since before university.

Esther Lumsdon, CDP, CSP
DTRC Code 1411, Annapolis Lab

valentin@cbmvax.UUCP (Valentin Pepelea) (10/24/89)

In article <22532@cup.portal.com> rwp@cup.portal.com (Roger William Preisendefer) writes:
>I am a recent (within the last 18 months) graduate in Electrical Engineering.
>I would like to add Professional Engineer to that, but have no idea how
>or where the test might be.  If anyone could point me in the direction of
>some reference material, preparation books, or general information on this
>test, please email me at

Sigh, I don't know what the law is here in Pennsylvania, but where I come from,
Quebec, Canada, you don't have to pass any tests. Just show your B.A.Sc. degree
and proof of having worked in the field for two years, (coop experience
discounted by 40%) and presto, you got your P. Ing. If on the other hand you
poor bastard are coming from nowhere, like the USA, then you also have to pass
a professional ethics exam. But then, so few engineers graduate out of US
universities...

Valentin  :-)
"An  operating  system  without        Name:    Valentin Pepelea
 virtual memory is an operating        Phone:   (215) 431-9100
 system without virtue."               Usenet:  uunet!cbmvax!valentin
                                       Bitnet:  cbmvax!valentin@uunet.uu.net
         - Ancient Inca Proverb        Claimer: these aren't Commodore thoughts

aglew@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Andy-Krazy-Glew) (10/28/89)

>... but where I come from, Quebec, Canada, you don't have to pass any
>tests. Just show your B.A.Sc. degree and proof of having worked in the
>field for two years, (coop experience discounted by 40%) and presto,
>you got your P. Ing.

(1) obviously your degree has to be from a properly accredited university.

(2) or, you can take a set of exams to become a P.Ing., if you do not have
    a university background, but have worked in the technical field
    sufficiently long.  The exams are roughly equivalent to a general
    engineering degree's class finals, all at once.  My father (a university
    P.Ing.) supervised a number of people who went this route.

By the way, as a Canadian working in the US, I would say that a
Canadian undergraduate degree ranks up favourably against a US degree
in engineering.  McGill taught me the fundamentals (just hope I can
remember them in time for quals) ---- but, Canadian university's
resources for advanced work are much more limited than in the US.

--
Andy "Krazy" Glew,  Motorola MCD,    	    	    aglew@urbana.mcd.mot.com
1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801, USA.          {uunet!,}uiucuxc!udc!aglew

My opinions are my own; I indicate my company only so that the reader
may account for any possible bias I may have towards our products.