[comp.org.ieee] compmail shell script

fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu (Paul Fishwick) (10/24/89)

For those who send mail to society officials on COMPMAIL, you might find
the following shell script useful (if you do not use one already).
Take the file, name it something like 'compmail' and then put it in
your `~/bin directory. It makes things a little easier than having
to remember inserting the "to:" and "forward" lines, etc.

Examples of using it:

%compmail j.doe
%compmail j.doe < myfile

-paul
(let me know if this is useful or if you develop a better one)

---------------------------------CUT HERE---------------------------------
#! /bin/csh -f
#
# This script file allows you to easily send mail to COMPMAIL
# users. First save this file in your ~/bin directory or wherever
# you save your shell scripts. Then change the 5 file names
# at the start of the script to whatever you want. Also, change
# your subject message. This is probably not the world's best
# script - it is a quick hack, but it works ok. -p. fishwick
#
# Temporary files
set tempfile = ./TEMPfile
set tempfile1 = ./TEMPfile1
set tempfile2 = ./TEMPfile2
set blankline = ./BLANKline
if ($#argv == 0) then
   echo "usage: compmail <compmail-address(es)> [ < <file-to-send> ]"
   echo "note: if you use more than 1 address, separate by commas (no spaces)"
else
   set user = $argv[1]
   echo " " > $blankline
   echo "Forward: compmail" > $tempfile1
   echo "To: " $user > $tempfile2
   if (-e ~/me) then
#    add the signature file if it exists
     cat $blankline $tempfile1 $tempfile2 $blankline - \
         $blankline ~/me > $tempfile
   else
     cat $blankline $tempfile1 $tempfile2 $blankline - \
         $blankline > $tempfile
   endif
   mail -s "FROM P. FISHWICK/INTERNET" intermail@isi.edu < $tempfile
   rm -f $tempfile $tempfile1 $tempfile2 $blankline
   echo "Mail delivered to " $user " on COMPMAIL."
endif

IEEESB@ecs.umass.edu (IEEE UMass Student Branch) (10/29/89)

In article <21096@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu (Paul Fishwick) writes:
> For those who send mail to society officials on COMPMAIL, you might find
> the following shell script useful (if you do not use one already).
> Take the file, name it something like 'compmail' and then put it in
> your `~/bin directory. It makes things a little easier than having
> to remember inserting the "to:" and "forward" lines, etc.
>
> Examples of using it:
>
> %compmail j.doe
> %compmail j.doe < myfile
>
> -paul
> (let me know if this is useful or if you develop a better one)

How about something for VAX/VMS?

IEEE Student Branch             Office: (413) 545-0641
ECE Department                  Bitnet: IEEESB@UMAECS.bitnet
Marston 137
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003