[comp.org.ieee] IEEE Dues Suggesstion

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon) (12/08/89)

The ACM has a dues plan that I think it would benefit IEEE to adopt.
A married couple can pay a reduced price for 2 memberships, and receive
1 copy of the ACM publications that come with their memberships.

My future husband and I would both like to continue our IEEE memberships,
but really don't think it necessary to receive 2 copies of Spectrum
and The Institute. Heavens, we shared my copy quite adequately when
he hadn't joined IEEE yet.

How much support would I need to get for this idea before IEEE would
consider it? After all, the advertisements in Spectrum seem to be aimed
squarely at couples (the life insurance ads).

---
Esther Lumsdon
David Taylor Research Center
Annapolis Lab

blackje@sunspot.crd.ge.com (Emmett Black) (12/08/89)

Wonderful suggestion!

My wife and I have pounding on the IEEE people for
a good many years (at least since about 1977 or 78)
to get them to do something like this...
We've even cornered officials at conferences, etc.,
to lobby for this sort of change...

We had pretty much given up, and she has now dropped
her membership; perhaps if they changed the policy
then she would re-join.

Now if a LOT more people call New Jersey and pound on
the people at IEEE, we might make this happen someday.

---

At least the IEEE does send out current journals on microfiche;
the ACM has a dumb policy of making you wait for several years
before they permit fiche generation and distribution ...
every organization has their own silly rules.

--Emmett

--Emmett
	J.E.Black; GE Research/K1-3C26; Schenectady, NY 12345
	blackje@crd.ge.com

Sandra.Farber@ieeefs.UUCP (Sandra Farber) (12/10/89)

If you can, attend the Excom meeting of your section and present the idea
to them first- then ask them to pass a resolution to be sent to IEEE
officers that are appropiate.   If Burt Juda reads your message here,
perhaps he also can get it to proper committee.  But get your section
behind you anyway.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Sandra Farber - via UFGATE Node 1:107/310

src@cs.odu.edu (Scott R. Chilcote) (12/11/89)

In article <513@nems> lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Esther Lumsdon) writes:
>The ACM has a dues plan that I think it would benefit IEEE to adopt.
>A married couple can pay a reduced price for 2 memberships, and receive
>1 copy of the ACM publications that come with their memberships.
>
>My future husband and I would both like to continue our IEEE memberships,
>but really don't think it necessary to receive 2 copies of Spectrum
>and The Institute.
>---
>Esther Lumsdon
>David Taylor Research Center
>Annapolis Lab

I agree!  In the past there were probably fewer couples where both husband and
wife were interested in IEEE membership, but this is no longer the case.  I
know two other couples where both spouses subscribe to the IEEE, and getting
double publications is a waste of expense and resources.

                                                         Scott R. Chilcote
                                                         src@xanth.uucp
                                                         src%xanth.cs.odu.edu

karam@sce.carleton.ca (Gerald Karam) (12/12/89)

In article <4155@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> blackje@sunspot.crd.ge.com (Emmett Black) writes:

>Wonderful suggestion!
>
>My wife and I have pounding on the IEEE people for
>a good many years (at least since about 1977 or 78)
>to get them to do something like this... ...more stuff...

>Now if a LOT more people call New Jersey and pound on
>the people at IEEE, we might make this happen someday.

i suggested this to my regional director last year and
he brought it up, but didn't push it.  starting in january,
with the new vice-president of RAB (and hence another kick
at the can) i'll try again and be a lot more persistent.

besides this time i know at least three members of RAB to
lobby. (watch out RAB, yet another crazy canuk :-)

and that's what other interested members should do. send a
message to your regional director.

gerald

karam@sce.carleton.ca
karam@sce.uucp

(p.s. hey emmett, how's it goin' dude? eh? :-)

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon) (12/14/89)

In article <4155@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> blackje@sunspot.crd.ge.com (Emmett Black) writes:

>Wonderful suggestion!

with the new vice-president of RAB (and hence another kick
at the can) i'll try again and be a lot more persistent.
besides this time i know at least three members of RAB to
lobby. (watch out RAB, yet another crazy canuk :-)

and that's what other interested members should do. send a
message to your regional director.

 Great! Let's nag regional directors and RAB to death! Married couples
 shouldn't have to drop one membership, and should get something of a
 discount for saving IEEE money on mailing pubs. _Other_ organizations
 D  can do this for members, and it would be a source of revenue....
 There are probably a lot of spouses who dropped their memberships,
 and are sharing a single membership. My future husband and I want to
 _both_ claim IEEE membership on our resumes.
 ))

---
Esther Lumsdon
David Taylor Research Center
Annapolis Lab  cm 301-267-3816   av 281-3816

karam@sce.carleton.ca (Gerald Karam) (12/15/89)

actually, the following statements are attributed to me (karam@sce.carleton.ca)

>with the new vice-president of RAB (and hence another kick
>at the can) i'll try again and be a lot more persistent.
>besides this time i know at least three members of RAB to
>lobby. (watch out RAB, yet another crazy canuk :-)

........................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i'm sure that emmett would love to be a crazy canuck, (he lives in
central NY state, so the weather is not much different than ottawa's)
but, no, i'm the crazy canuck.

>Esther Lumsdon
>David Taylor Research Center
>Annapolis Lab  cm 301-267-3816   av 281-3816

*esther's editor runs wild* news at 11 :-)

gerald

decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) (12/15/89)

I read carefully all of the information that came with my IEEE Computer
Society renewal materials, and decided there was no reason that I could
not cross out the "SUBSCRIPTION TO COMPUTER MAGAZINE      18.00" from the
invoice.  I did so, since all I wanted was the affiliate membership, and
did not care to spend more dues to for them to waste sending me a
magazine I would not read.

I have not heard anything back from them yet, so I assume it went as
expected, and I saved $18.00.

Now if I could only get them to stop sending that even more useless GRID...

Dave Decot

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon) (12/19/89)

Sorry!  There isn't any emacs available where I am, and I'm having fits
with both vi and the locally-written editor (ted, the Technical Office
Automation CS?editor.

---
Esther Lumsdon
David Taylor Research Center
Annapolis Lab  cm 301-267-3816   av 281-3816

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Esther Lumsdon) (12/23/89)

While joint or dual memberships are a good idea, I'd like
to make a suggestion for the present.  Those couples
receiving two copies of IEEE publications might want to
donate the 'spare' to local libraries -- or even to
local hospitals (whose patients might be interested after
thumbing through four-month old NEWSWEEKs for the eleventh
time!)

Attributed to name withheld, as requested.