[comp.org.ieee] Whatever happened to...

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (12/16/89)

Anyone remember the exploits of a gentleman who was in IEEE and
was known to cause all sorts of mischief to members of the board,
etc. by making threats to them and so forth?  I remember looking
forward to my monthly issue of The Institute to see what he had
be up to the month before. Sorry, the name escapes me right now,
as I haven't seen it for about six months or so.  Anyone know
what he is up to these days, or did he just "quietly" go away?

                         - tom
--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas

--
The UUCP Mailer

Bill.Wilkes@ieeefs.UUCP (Bill Wilkes) (12/16/89)

AREA:IEEE
You must be referring to Irwin Feerst, occasional candidate for
President.
We haven't heard from him in a while.  He may still be putting out his
newsletter however.

9--

Hey Bill, what ever happened to the CD_ROM drive?

I understand that you have a new PACE chair too.  Get him on line if you
can.

y9
You must be referring to Irwin Feerst, occasional candidate for
President.
We haven't heard from him in a while.  He may still be putting out his
newsletter however.

eniand section
chairs who don;t submit their annual reports and financial
statements on time :-)

OR,

maybe he was just a message from GOD reminding us to be open-minded
and professional :-)

anyway, who knows, maybe some big LA movie maker will buy the
film rights and we'll see the story all over again.  the problem is
who would they get for the lead role?

(and that's what you get when i read the unix news on a saturday)

gerald

karam@sce.carleton.ca
karam@sce.uucp

p.s. does anyone else remember where "humour in a jugular vein"
     comes from?

,~--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Bill Wilkes - via UFGATE Node 1:107/310
 Internet: Bill.Wilkes@ieeefs.UUCP
 UUCP:     ...!rutgers!njin!ieeefs!Bill.Wilkes
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

karam@sce.carleton.ca (Gerald Karam) (12/16/89)

In article <127.UUL1.3#5131@mvac23.UUCP> mvac23!thomas@udel.edu writes:
>Anyone remember the exploits of a gentleman who was in IEEE and
>was known to cause all sorts of mischief to members of the board,
>etc. by making threats to them and so forth?  I remember looking
>forward to my monthly issue of The Institute to see what he had
>be up to the month before. Sorry, the name escapes me right now,
>as I haven't seen it for about six months or so.  Anyone know
>what he is up to these days, or did he just "quietly" go away?

the name you are referring to was "Irwin Feerst". but he never
really existed.  he was just a product of headquarters staff to
keep us entertained :-)

OR,

maybe the IEEE police finally got him. you mean you've never
heard of the IEEE police? they come after student and section

David.Qualich@ieeefs.UUCP (David Qualich) (12/18/89)

 > Newsgroups: comp.org.ieee
 >
 > Anyone remember the exploits of a gentleman who was in
 > IEEE and
 > was known to cause all sorts of mischief to members of
 > the board,
 > etc. by making threats to them and so forth?  I remember
 > looking
You may have Irwin Feerst in mind.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 David Qualich - via UFGATE Node 1:107/310

In article <741@sce.carleton.ca> karam@sce.UUCP (Gerald Karam) writes:
>In article <127.UUL1.3#5131@mvac23.UUCP> mvac23!thomas@udel.edu writes:
>>Anyone remember the exploits of a gentleman who was in IEEE and
>>was known to cause all sorts of mischief to members of the board,
>>etc. by making threats to them and so forth?
>
>the name you are referring to was "Irwin Feerst".
[...]
>anyway, who knows, maybe some big LA movie maker will buy the
>film rights and we'll see the story all over again.  the problem is
>who would they get for the lead role?

Gilbert Gottfried.

				--Blair
				  "It's the tension in his face,
				   kind of like a chinese woman
				   in labor..."

bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bob Kinne) (12/19/89)

In article <308.258C6F4C@ieeefs.UUCP> David.Qualich@ieeefs.UUCP (David Qualich) writes:

> > Newsgroups: comp.org.ieee
> >
> > Anyone remember the exploits of a gentleman who was in
> > IEEE and
> > was known to cause all sorts of mischief to members of
> > the board,
> > etc. by making threats to them and so forth?  I remember
> > looking
>You may have Irwin Feerst in mind.

Feerst is a perennial candidate for IEEE office.  His 'mischief'
consists of believing that the IEEE should work for the benefit
of individual members, in the areas of salaries, pensions, recognition,
and others, as opposed to the establishment view that the IEEE
should serve the corporate world and work for the benefit of large
employers.  A dangerous man indeed, one who should be surpressed
and not allowed a public voice.  Can you say 'job security?'

Robert Kinne	 	"Everything is unlikely, my dear."
UCB, Campus Box 525	VOICE		(303) 492-3330
Boulder, CO 80309	INTERNET	bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (12/22/89)

In article <318.258DE9F9@ieeefs.UUCP> Bill.Wilkes@ieeefs.UUCP (Bill Wilkes) writes:

>p.s. does anyone else remember where "humour in a jugular vein"
>     comes from?

Wasn't that from the early MAD magazines, or it's sister EC publication PANIC.
Mid to late '50s.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

karam@sce.carleton.ca (Gerald Karam) (12/27/89)

actually bill, it was karam@sce.carleton.ca (Gerald Karam) that writes...

>>p.s. does anyone else remember where "humour in a jugular vein"
>>     comes from?
>
>Wasn't that from the early MAD magazines, or it's sister EC publication PANIC.
>Mid to late '50s.

correct! and i thought i was the only one who read that old stuff.

>--
>Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
>                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

say bill if we ever meet i'll buy you one!

gerald karam
karam@sce.carleton.ca
karam@sce.uucp