[comp.org.ieee] Engineering Employment

Bill.Wilkes@ieeefs.ieee.org (Bill Wilkes) (07/03/90)

I am an engineer working in the defense industry on Long Island.  We are seeing a very rapid decline in employment, with many older engineers unable to afford retirement, unemployed, and likely never to get a job in the industry again.  We are trying to develop programs to respond to this crisis.
How widespread is this problem?  Are other areas of the country as severely impacted?
I keep hearing about the either current shortage of forecast shortage ut no evidence to support the claim.
Any opinions or experiences any of you could contribute would be appreciated.

--
 Bill Wilkes - Internet: Bill.Wilkes@ieeefs.ieee.org via 1:107/310

randy@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) (07/06/90)

In <830.2690D142@ieeefs.ieee.org> Bill.Wilkes@ieeefs.ieee.org (Bill Wilkes) writes:

> I keep hearing about the either current shortage of forecast shortage ut no
> evidence to support the claim.

The electronics and computer industry is tightening up all over the country.
IMHO, there are two factors, the general disintegration of the American
economy (our own fault as Americans) and the lessening value of engineers due
to oversupply and undereducation.

As I hiring manager, I could paper our plant's walls with the qualified
resumes I have received.  Do we so quickly forget our brethren (and sistren?)
in the aerospace industry, ...?
--
..!{uunet,qiclab,intelhf}!m2xenix!randy   randy@psg.com   randy@m2xenix.uucp