[comp.org.ieee] Why no comp.org.acm?

gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (JD144) (11/05/90)

Just wondering..why isn't there a comp.org.acm?

--
Jason Gross,
President, UM Student Chapter

theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) (11/07/90)

gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (JD144) writes:

> Just wondering..why isn't there a comp.org.acm?
>
> --
> Jason Gross,
> President, UM Student Chapter
> gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu

From recent mailings via BITNET it seems that there was a comp.org.acm
at one time...Talk is ongoing throughout the nation's student chapters
to reactivate this. Nothing definite yet though.

Theo Heavey
ACM Pres
Florida Atlantic University

judith@super.ORG (Judith D. Schlesinger) (11/08/90)

meantime, there is an ACM Student Chapter list, under e-mail.  Send your
name (student chapter name) and the message 'subscribe acmstchp' to
listserv@SUVM.BITNET to get added to the list.

jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu (Joe Buck) (11/08/90)

In article <4q59R4w163w@cs.fau.edu>, theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) writes:
|> From recent mailings via BITNET it seems that there was a comp.org.acm
|> at one time...Talk is ongoing throughout the nation's student chapters
|> to reactivate this. Nothing definite yet though.

There was never a comp.org.acm.  There may have been a BITNET mailing list.
If people want one, there is a standard new group creation procedure to
follow (discussion, call for votes, votes, etc).

There's a comp.org.ieee but no comp.org.acm for that reason: people cared
enough to get this group created, but no one took on the task of creating
comp.org.acm.
--
Joe Buck
jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu	 {uunet,ucbvax}!galileo.berkeley.edu!jbuck

burt@tab.ieee.org (Burt Juda) (11/08/90)

In article <36848@super.ORG> judith@super.ORG (Judith D. Schlesinger) writes:
 > meantime, there is an ACM Student Chapter list, under e-mail.  Send your
 > name (student chapter name) and the message 'subscribe acmstchp' to
 > listserv@SUVM.BITNET to get added to the list.

Can we perhaps coordinate this with the lists at IEEE.ORG?
Do you know who maintains that list?

--
 Burt Juda - Internet: burt@ieee.org  UUCP: rutgers!njin!ieeefs!tab!burt
             COMPMAIL: B.JUDA     BITNET: JUDA@NJIN   FidoNet: 1:107/10