[comp.org.ieee] How to join IEEE Comp Society?

theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) (12/15/90)

Does anyone out there know how to join the IEEE Computer Society
WITHOUT joining IEEE? I am a computer science major and after reading
the last 6 months of the Spectrum (in those *)(^&^%^%$^% plastic bags!)
have found it totally lacking for my area.

Thanks in advance!

Theodora Heavey
Florida Atlantic University
Boca Raton, FL
theo@cs.fau.edu

p.s. if it makes anyone feel better -- Comm of the ACM comes in those
non-biodegradable bags too. Maybe they should switch to bio-degradable
and make everyone happy.

farkas@eecg.toronto.edu (Keith I. Farkas) (12/16/90)

In article <7Hg8T4w163w@cs.fau.edu> theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) writes:

>p.s. if it makes anyone feel better -- Comm of the ACM comes in those
>non-biodegradable bags too. Maybe they should switch to bio-degradable
>and make everyone happy.

FYI, there is no such thing as bio-degradable plastic. Plastic marketed as
being bio-degradable merely breaks down into much smaller pieces of plastic.
The only part of the plastic sheet which is bio-degradable is the substance
which holds these smaller pieces of plastic together. Plastic itself never
bio-degrades and thus will be with us forever.

I'm sure one of the reasons SPECTRUM comes in a plastic bag is so that IEEE
can mail both SPECTRUM and the Institute at the same time. Why don't they
combine the two publications into one? In fact, personally, I find the
Institute (printer on newsprint) far more interesting.

	-keith

boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) (12/18/90)

In article <7Hg8T4w163w@cs.fau.edu>, theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) writes:

|> Does anyone out there know how to join the IEEE Computer Society
|> WITHOUT joining IEEE? I am a computer science major and after reading
|> the last 6 months of the Spectrum (in those *)(^&^%^%$^% plastic bags!)
|> have found it totally lacking for my area.

You may join the Computer Society by becoming an IEEE member, then
adding the Computer Society for an additional $22/year.  That is
apparently what you've already done.

The other possibility is to join the Computer Society as an affiliate
member of the IEEE.  The cost of this is the $22/year which goes
to the Computer Society, and 1/2 of the standard IEEE membership
fee.  This year, that combined number will be $54.

Note that the affiliate membership makes you a full member, not a student
member.  By IEEE Bylaws, there is no way to join only the Computer Society
(or any other IEEE society) as an affiliate without being an IEEE student
member.

----

Joseph Boykin
Manager, Mach OS Development
Encore Computer Corp
Treasurer, IEEE Computer Society

Internet: boykin@encore.com
Phone: 508-460-0500 x2720

johnb@srchtec.UUCP (John Baldwin) (12/18/90)

In article <13565@encore.Encore.COM> boykin@encore.com writes:

>Note that the affiliate membership makes you a full member, not a student
>member.  By IEEE Bylaws, there is no way to join only the Computer Society
>(or any other IEEE society) as an affiliate without being an IEEE student
>member.

Hunnh?

Could you expound upon that?  Normally, I'm not "reading impaired," but
this sounds like a contradiction to me.  Is an Affiliate member of the
IEEE-CS considered a student member of IEEE, or a full member?

What about voting members of the ACM who were asked to join IEEE-CS?
[Yes, I know they're entirely separate organizations, with reciprocal
agreements for reduction of dues.]

--
John Baldwin  | srchtec!johnb@gatech.edu

boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) (12/21/90)

In article <388@srchtec.UUCP>, johnb@srchtec.UUCP (John Baldwin) writes:
|> In article <13565@encore.Encore.COM> boykin@encore.com writes:
|>
|> >Note that the affiliate membership makes you a full member, not a student
|> >member.  By IEEE Bylaws, there is no way to join only the Computer Society
|> >(or any other IEEE society) as an affiliate without being an IEEE student
|> >member.
|>
|> Hunnh?
|>
|> Could you expound upon that?  Normally, I'm not "reading impaired," but
|> this sounds like a contradiction to me.  Is an Affiliate member of the
|> IEEE-CS considered a student member of IEEE, or a full member?

Sorry about that.  Let me try again.  If you want to join as a student
member, and hence receive the student rate and the IEEE student
publication (I forget the name), the only way to do so is join the IEEE
and add the Computer Society.  If you do not want to join as a
student (or cannot),  you may *either* join the IEEE and add the
Computer Society, or join only the Computer Society as an Affiliate
member.

Is this any clearer?

|> What about voting members of the ACM who were asked to join IEEE-CS?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.  ACM members must join both the
IEEE and the Computer Society to receive the $5 discount.  You do not
receive the discount if you join the Computer Society as an Affiliate member.

----

johnb@srchtec.UUCP (John Baldwin) (12/21/90)

In article <13612@encore.Encore.COM> boykin@encore.com writes:

> [explanation deleted]
>
>Is this any clearer?

Yes, thanks.  Now I understand.

>|> What about voting members of the ACM who were asked to join IEEE-CS?
>
>I'm not sure exactly what you mean.  ACM members must join both the
>IEEE and the Computer Society to receive the $5 discount.  You do not
>receive the discount if you join the Computer Society as an Affiliate member.

Are you referring to a discount offered by the IEEE?  My ACM dues bill
comes with a note saying that since I'm an IEEE-CS member (Affiliate),
I'm entitled to the $5 ACM discount.

--

slamont@network.ucsd.edu (Steve Lamont) (12/22/90)

In article <388@srchtec.UUCP> johnb@srchtec.UUCP (John Baldwin) writes:
>                                     ... Is an Affiliate member of the
>IEEE-CS considered a student member of IEEE, or a full member?
>
>What about voting members of the ACM who were asked to join IEEE-CS?

I'm a member of ACM and a Society Affiliate member of IEEE Computer Society.
I'm not a student member of either organization.

I am allowed to vote on IEEE CS matters, so I guess that makes me as full a
member of IEEE CS as I need to be.

							spl (the p stands for
							pleased that I don't
							receive Spectrum,
							though...)
--
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- 1882p@cc.nps.navy.mil -- a guest on network.ucsd.edu
NPS Confuser Center / Code 51 / Naval Postgraduate School / Monterey, CA 93943