[comp.org.ieee] Computer magazine

ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) (12/18/90)

It's funny how Spectrum and Potentials always seem to arrive in the
mailbox nicely giftwrapped, while Computer magazine always arrives
unprotected.  My issues of Computer end up completely mangled.  It's
really too bad, because it's one of those magazines that is worth
keeping forever.

I wish they would deliver Computer in some sort of protective
wrapping!

Ben
--
Ben Eng                  | ben@contact.uucp  (416)-431-3333
150 Beverley St. Apt #1L | Bix: jetpen

mok@fortsc.enet.dec.com (Charles P. Mok) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec18.023921.2097@contact.uucp>, ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) writes...

>It's funny how Spectrum and Potentials always seem to arrive in the
>mailbox nicely giftwrapped, while Computer magazine always arrives
>unprotected.  My issues of Computer end up completely mangled.  It's
>really too bad, because it's one of those magazines that is worth
>keeping forever.
>
>I wish they would deliver Computer in some sort of protective
>wrapping!

Only if it is recycled paper envelope or things like that.  I am tired
of seeing unnecessary plastic bags for "protection" of the magazine.
I am not an environmentalist by all means, but I see waste when I see
it.  Do you want protection for a magazine or for the planet?  This is
the kind of choices we have to make.

Charles

>Ben
>--
>Ben Eng                  | ben@contact.uucp  (416)-431-3333
>150 Beverley St. Apt #1L | Bix: jetpen
>Toronto, Ontario M5T 1Y6 | UofT Engineering Science: engb@ecf.toronto.edu
>_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_| Home: (416)-979-7885, (416)-979-8761

---
Charles Mok/Digital Equipment Corporation
INTERNET: mok@fortsc.enet.dec.com  UUCP: ....!decwrl!fortsc.dec.enet.com!mok
---

fertig-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Fertig) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec21.191405.2446@pa.dec.com> mok@fortsc.enet.dec.com (Charles P. Mok) writes:

>In article <1990Dec18.023921.2097@contact.uucp>, ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) writes...
>>
>>It's funny how Spectrum and Potentials always seem to arrive in the
>>mailbox nicely giftwrapped, while Computer magazine always arrives
>>unprotected.  My issues of Computer end up completely mangled.  It's
>>really too bad, because it's one of those magazines that is worth
>>keeping forever.
>>
>>I wish they would deliver Computer in some sort of protective
>>wrapping!
>
>Only if it is recycled paper envelope or things like that.  I am tired
>of seeing unnecessary plastic bags for "protection" of the magazine.
>I am not an environmentalist by all means, but I see waste when I see
>it.  Do you want protection for a magazine or for the planet?  This is
>the kind of choices we have to make.

I agree with the recently expressed sentiment that this packaging
discussion has continued for a tiresome period of time.  But I also
agree that the whole issue is very important.  So I'm posting only to
clear up a common misunderstanding about packaging options: that there
is nothing but non-recyclable plastic or paper to choose from.  There
is a middle ground between those who want their magazines to arrive
undamaged and those who want them to be packaged in a less
environmentally damaging manner.

Plant fiber cellulose is an ecological alternative to plastic.  While
sturdier than paper, cellulose is truly biodegradable and, like paper,
made from a renewable resource.  There is at least one stationery
company, Earth Care Paper Inc., that packages its recycled-paper
products using cellulose.  It is true that energy is consumed to make
this form of cellulose, although I believe that the material for its
production is excess pulp left from the manufacture of other
products (meaning that currently no additional trees are cut down).

I suppose there is a good argument that most magazines do not need
additional packaging to travel through the US mail undamaged most of
the time.  But clearly there are times a sturdy package is called for
and publishers should be made aware of plant-fiber cellulose as an
option.

Please no flames about advertising on the net:  I have no connection
with Earth Care Inc. other than as a customer.

--

#ARPA:    Fertig-Scott@cs.yale.edu
#UUCP:    {decvax,linus,seismo}!yale!Fertig-Scott