[comp.org.ieee] A way to stop getting Spectrum

moorthy@spica.ucsc.edu (12/07/90)

Recently I asked this group for a way to stop getting Spectrum while
continuing to be an IEEE member.  Evybody I talked to seemed to want
to do the same thing.  So, here is what I did.

I called the number 1-800-678-IEEE and requested that my name be removed
from the Spectrum mailing list.  Keep your membership number handy.
I was told that, if I change my mind and want to receive Spectrum in
future, I should call again.

 ___
/ (_)      o     o        ___
| .   _   ___   ___     _|_  \ Harihara SV Moorthy
| |  | | | |  _|_|_   _|_|_  | Univ. of California, Santa Cruz
| |__|_| | | (___| | (___| | | moorthy@saturn.ucsc.edu
 \___|     / ______/ ______/
          / (       (

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (12/08/90)

> I called the number 1-800-678-IEEE and requested that my name be removed
> from the Spectrum mailing list.  Keep your membership number handy.
> I was told that, if I change my mind and want to receive Spectrum in
> future, I should call again.

The only thing you might want to keep in mind is that your dues are
NOT reduced by not getting the journal.  It is part of the package,
and not a separate cost.
                         - tom
--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu (home)
             : 4398613@mcimail.com (work)

--
The UUCP Mailer

farkas@eecg.toronto.edu (Keith I. Farkas) (12/09/90)

It might also be pointed out that when you refuse Spectrum you are
accomplishing two things:

(1) you are reducing your "reading-load", and
(2) you are saving trees and oil by not receiving
    a glossy magazine which comes in the mail encapsulated in a plastic bag

		    			-keith

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (12/10/90)

> (2) you are saving trees and oil by not receiving
>     a glossy magazine which comes in the mail encapsulated in a plastic bag

About this point.  Why are the ACM and IEEE packaging their journals
this way now?  I think it is a waste of plastic, and doesn't help
the environment any.  Now that I think about it, I think BYTE comes
that way too.  What is going on in the magazine industry?  Is it
time for us readers to say "stop doing this"?
                         - tom
--

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (12/11/90)

In article <414.UUL1.3#5131@mvac23.UUCP>, thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) writes:
>> (2) you are saving trees and oil by not receiving
>>     a glossy magazine which comes in the mail encapsulated in a plastic bag
>
> About this point.  Why are the ACM and IEEE packaging their journals
> this way now?  I think it is a waste of plastic, and doesn't help
> the environment any.  Now that I think about it, I think BYTE comes
> that way too.  What is going on in the magazine industry?  Is it
> time for us readers to say "stop doing this"?

I thought this was a discussion between non readers.  I think
it is nice to get Spectrum and Byte with their covers intact.

dan herrick
herrickd@astro.pc.ab.com

cjl@uncecs.edu (Charles J. Lord) (12/11/90)

The point re Byte's bag is moot - they have gone to sticking the
label directly on the cover.  Not such a great loss since Tinney
no longer does the covers, though.

To answer the question as to why plastic: magazines such as Byte
went from a paper sleeve to a plastic bag in order to allow the
packaging of separate catalogs (e.g. Jameco, JDR) in the same
mailing.  It is a marketing ploy that is not appreciated by many.
The last issue I noticed of each was sent with a simple label on
cover, though...
--
 *  Charles Lord               ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl  Usenet (old) *
 *  Cary, NC                   cjl@ecsvax.UUCP            Usenet (new) *

rbirch@pase60.Convergent.Com (Robert Birch) (12/12/90)

Newsgroups: comp.org.ieee
Subject: Re: A way to stop getting Spectrum
In article <414.UUL1.3#5131@mvac23.UUCP> thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) writes:
>> (2) you are saving trees and oil by not receiving
>>     a glossy magazine which comes in the mail encapsulated in a plastic bag
>
>About this point.  Why are the ACM and IEEE packaging their journals
>this way now?
>What is going on in the magazine industry?  Is it
>time for us readers to say "stop doing this"?

About a year or so ago, the New Yorker started using plastic wrappers.
Enough concerned readers complained to the editor that within, i think,
less than two months, they switched back to a brown paper wrapper.
The editor sent out a letter of appology stating that they had recently
switched publishers, and the plastic had been the new publishers method
of shipping.

What i wonder is, since "Transactions on Circuits and Systems" already
comes in brown paper, why are all of the other magazines i get wrapped
in plastic.
As far as glossy paper is concerned, it seems appropriate for
"Transactions..." which will be kept around for years as reference
material. But for something like "Spectrum" where i may keep one
or two issues each year with an article related to my field, i really
do wish it were recyclable. We would, however, lose the nice color
photos and diagrams. (Even the New Yorker is on glossy paper; they
still need revenue from glossy advertisments.)

When the New Yorker readers complained, the editor responded. He had
a good reason for doing so: he could lose subscribers.
There is no financial advantage for IEEE to listen to us; they already
have our dues. Perhaps if we said we were willing to pay the extra
cost of brown paper packaging, they would have no reason not to listen.

Just my $.02.
-rdb

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (12/13/90)

In article <2025@risky.Convergent.COM> rbirch@pase60.UUCP (Robert Birch) writes:
>What i wonder is, since "Transactions on Circuits and Systems" already
>comes in brown paper, why are all of the other magazines i get wrapped
>in plastic.
The Communications Society mag. comes in a (re-cyclable) paper
envelope, so I see no reason why Spectrum shouldn't come like this. This
would still allow them to enclose "The Institute" and I do not see how
it can be that much more expensive.
>As far as glossy paper is concerned,
stuff deleted
>do wish it were recyclable. We would, however, lose the nice color
>photos and diagrams.
I see no reason why we should loose the colour. You do not need glossy
paper for this, in fact I think the illustrations on matte paper look
better, and this kind of paper is re-cyclable. Personally, I like to
get Spectrum, but I would like to see more environmentasl concern
shown.
How about it, IEEE? Someone from Spectrum must read this newsgroup -
let's hear the reasons for and against from you.

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.

fede@bernina.ethz.ch (Federico Bonzanigo) (12/14/90)

The IEEE used to ship all its magazines and journals wrapped in brown
paper and only recently some of its publications switched to
polyethylene bags, Spectrum being one of the first ones. Quite too often
the paper wrapped journals arrive damaged (this may be a problem of
overseas surface mail). A couple of times I got a copy which was
completely unreadable with its pages glued together because it had been
soaked somewhere. Such problems disappeared almost completely with the
polyethylene bags.  I like to receive the publications I paid for
intact, therefore I would complain if the IEEE switches back to paper
wrappers and I would like that the remaining publications change soon.
Let's rather recycle polyethylene!

I do not like either the glossy paper. When I hold the journal in my
hand to read it the ink is smeared where my fingers were because it is
not absorbed by the paper.

Federico Bonzanigo

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (12/15/90)

In <5719@testeng1.misemi> stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) writes:

>I see no reason why we should loose the colour. You do not need glossy
>paper for this, in fact I think the illustrations on matte paper look
>better...

For roughly similar picture and illustration quality, it's much more
costly to use a non-glossy finish.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (12/17/90)

In article <2804@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>For roughly similar picture and illustration quality, it's much more
>costly to use a non-glossy finish.

Numbers, please - how much is "more", and might it not be worth it if
it saves a lot of trees, and therefore our environment in general?
Hello there IEEE - do you hear us? Do you read these newsgroups? How
about some comments from you?

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.

C37117@TRMETU.BITNET (Mr. Muhammad Javed Iqbal Chaudhry) (12/23/90)

Hi
I am also really disturbed with this mailing as well as binding of
spectrum from this year.The stepals are not that better. IEEE must
revert to its old Binding style of Spectrum and other magzines.

Does IEEE have an E-Mail Adrress ....
bye
  /| /|      --//||  //--  /--|     //----//---  /|  /  M.Javed Iqbal,EEE Dept
 / |/ |       //_|| //_   /   |    //    //___| /_| /  METU;Ankara 06531,Turkey
/     |  /___//  ||//___ /___/    //____//____|/  |/__  C37117 at Trmetu.Bitnet
                                      ---

suelynn@eclair.berkeley.edu (Susan Streisand) (12/24/90)

Well, I just thought I'd add my 2 cents to this discussion.
I recently got my 1991 membership card and with it comes a form
to fill out (about your product/plant or whatever).  On
the bottom there is a checkoff for "I am now receiving
Spectrum and wish to continue to receive it".  If you don't
check it off, what happens?

It also says for inquiries concerning your membership call
(800) 678-IEEE or (908) 981-0060.

Disclaimer:  I am a student member, so I don't know if regular
members have different numbers or forms.

Susan Streisand             | All the people tell me so, but what do all the
suelynn@eclair.berkeley.edu | people know?        -- The Monroes
..!ucbvax!eclair!suelynn   | 4 line max. sig.-- I wish all newsservers had it