[comp.org.ieee] SUMMARY: membership

davidd@wolf.cs.washington.edu (David Doll) (01/06/91)

heres some of the responses I got:

Phone number: 1-8000-678-ieee

check out the inside front page of Spectrum at your local library

IEEE Service Center
445 Hoes Lane
P.O. Bx 1331
Piscataway, NJ
08855-1331

Thanks to all who replyed, I appreciate your time and help.

--
David Doll
Computer Science Dept.

theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) (01/06/91)

davidd@wolf.cs.washington.edu (David Doll) writes:

> --
> David Doll
> Computer Science Dept.
> University of Washington
> Seattle, WA 98195
> M/S: FR-35
> davidd@cs.washington.edu

I notice that David is a Comp. Sci person... A note to all CS STUDENTS
on the student membership:

Student membership to IEEE is $22. (approx the same as ACM National)

There is an additional surcharge to become a member of the IEEE Computer
Society and receive the Computer magazine (only reason I wanted to join --
GREAT resource)

The total worked out this way is still cheaper than becoming an
Associate Member of the Computer Society.

If you are a National member of the ACM there is *supposed* to be a
rebate of sorts on your Computer Society membership -- though the IEEE
representative at the 800 number knew NOTHING about this.

Finally, I understand (though I may be wrong) that ACM National members
will get the discounted conference fees at IEEE COmputer Society
related functions.

For the students that have the extra ~$35 to burn -- you will get a
GREAT reference. Else I would join ACM and either get a close friend
who belongs to IEEE to enroll in the COmputer Society for you OR
keep referencing those magazines in the Library.

I would like to strongly urge the IEEE National HQ to consider a
platform where ACM National Student members interested in only the
IEEE Computer Society be allowed to join for the SIG fee (and not
the additional fee of IEEE National as well).

I speak only for myself, not my university or ACM in any manner. Please
send all flames to /dev/null -- thanks.

Theodora Heavey

boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) (01/08/91)

In article <qy2BV2w163w@cs.fau.edu>, theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) writes:
|> If you are a National member of the ACM there is *supposed* to be a
|> rebate of sorts on your Computer Society membership -- though the IEEE
|> representative at the 800 number knew NOTHING about this.

The discount is $5 off the non-student rates.  When you send in
your membership application, simply put your ACM membership number
in the appropriate place on the application.

|> Finally, I understand (though I may be wrong) that ACM National members
|> will get the discounted conference fees at IEEE COmputer Society
|> related functions.

False.  Members of the IEEE Computer Society will receive discounts
to Computer Society sponsored conferences.  Conference organizers
are required to charge a minimum of 25% more for non-members.

There are quite a number of conferences which are co-sponsored by
the ACM and Computer Society.  In that case, members of either organization
get the cheaper rate.

|> For the students that have the extra ~$35 to burn -- you will get a
|> GREAT reference.

Not only do you get a good magazine (Computer) but you also join
a professional society.  I think it is important for all to remember
that the Computer Society is more than a magazine subscription
and performs quite a number of services for the profession as a whole.
PLEASE don't think of this as simply another magazine subscription!

Last point: You referred to "ACM National" and "IEEE National"; both
organizations are International.  The Computer Society has
approx. 106,000 members, of which about 25% are from outside the
U.S.

----

Joseph Boykin
Manager, Mach OS Development