[comp.org.ieee] IEEE Group Life Insurance

jcargill@oka.cs.wisc.edu (Jon Cargille) (01/25/91)

I have a question for anyone who might know.  I have heard that IEEE
has an group life insurance plan which provides term coverage at
excellent rates.  Does anyone know whether this insurance is available
to student members?

Thanks for the info,

Jon Cargille
jcargill@cs.wisc.edu

zweig@cs.uiuc.edu (Johnny Zweig) (01/25/91)

I signed up for a policy. So if it doesn't apply to students, I should find
out before long, and promise to post a flame here if this is the case.

-Johnny Assurance

levericw@cheetah.ece.clarkson.edu (Walden Leverich) (01/25/91)

TL> From: larrabee@summit.ucsc.edu (Tracy Larrabee)
TL> Newsgroups: comp.org.ieee
TL> Date: 25 Jan 91 16:41:35 GMT
TL> Sender: usenet@darkstar.ucsc.edu

TL> Something I was not aware of when I signed up for IEEE insurance is that
TL> you have to have a blood test for AIDS give them a supervised urine sample
TL> after a 6 hour fast.  The insurance I had did not cause me this bother, and
TL> it was worth the extra money to me to avoid the hassle.  Now it is too late
TL> Perhaps I can inform someone else this way who might be in a similar
TL> position.

I have IEEE life. While they do require a blood and urine test, the
person came to *my* apartment to get them. No hassle, it took all of 5
minutes.

-Walden
Walden H. Leverich III               | Inet: levericw@clutx.clarkson.edu
     ECE Dept.                       | CServ: 73237,2212 <- checked weekly
 Clarkson University                 | SnailMail: Software Solutions
                                     |            PO Box 763
                                     |            Potsdam, NY 13676-0763
#include <std_disclamer_concerning_what_I_say>

eddins@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (Steve Eddins) (01/25/91)

I had IEEE life insurance for several years as a student.  An insurance
consultant friend of mind told me recently that the rates are good.

--
Steve Eddins
------------

larrabee@summit.ucsc.edu (Tracy Larrabee) (01/26/91)

Something I was not aware of when I signed up for IEEE insurance is that you
have to have a blood test for AIDS give them a supervised urine sample
after a 6 hour fast.  The insurance I had did not cause me this bother, and
it was worth the extra money to me to avoid the hassle.  Now it is too late.

Perhaps I can inform someone else this way who might be in a similar position.

ajit@ut-emx.uucp (Ajit Dingankar) (01/26/91)

I have a policy for Universal Life Insurance from IEEE, and I did not have
to take any tests at all.  The rates for universal life are also excellent,
in fact I compared them against other "good" plans to find out that at the
end of the policy period, the yield for IEEE policy could be as much as
twice the yield for some policies.  And yes, I *am* a student!

Hope this helps,

Ajit

larrabee@summit.ucsc.edu (Tracy Larrabee) (01/27/91)

In article <43223@ut-emx.uucp> ajit@ut-emx.uucp (Ajit Dingankar) writes:
>I have a policy for Universal Life Insurance from IEEE, and I did not have
>to take any tests at all.

I suspect Ajit got his policy more than a year ago.  The policy about
test taking is recent.  If you want to know for sure, you can ask
IEEE, but they are likely to tell you, as they told me, that they
don't make the decision and that it is up to the actual insurance
company.

dan@scooter.rosemount.com (Dan Messinger) (01/30/91)

In article <11553@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, larrabee@summit.ucsc.edu (Tracy
Larrabee) writes:
|> Something I was not aware of when I signed up for IEEE insurance is that you
|> have to have a blood test for AIDS give them a supervised urine sample
|> after a 6 hour fast.  The insurance I had did not cause me this bother, and
|> it was worth the extra money to me to avoid the hassle.  Now it is too late.

The same is true for most insurance companies now.  I've changed companies
twice in the past few years, and have had to have the tests both times.
One company said they only did it for policies over $100K, and the other
said it required the tests for all new policies.

dan@scooter.rosemount.com