[comp.org.ieee] FTP site for draft standards

rhb3@cbnewsi.att.com (richard.brandwein) (04/30/91)

	I am interested in placing the current version of
a draft standard from IEEE 802.6 in a public ftp site.  Does
anyone know of any other ANSI/IEEE groups that do this?  If not,
is there any known legal problem?  If this is done elsewhere,
which sites are currently being used?

Rich Brandwein

vladimir@Eng.Sun.COM (Vladimir G. Ivanovic) (05/09/91)

In article <1991Apr29.222928.28757@cbnewsi.att.com> rhb3@cbnewsi.att.com (richard.brandwein) writes:

	   I am interested in placing the current version of
   a draft standard from IEEE 802.6 in a public ftp site.  Does
   anyone know of any other ANSI/IEEE groups that do this?  If not,
   is there any known legal problem?  If this is done elsewhere,
   which sites are currently being used?

I was under the impression that the IEEE does *NOT* make standards available
electronically for two basic reasons:  (1) Money - the revenue from selling
the standards goes to support the standards process and (2) the difficulty of
ensuring that the standard you get is in fact the correct, unadulterated
standard.

-- Vladimir
Vladimir G. Ivanovic                            Sun Microsystems, Inc
(415) 336-2315                                  MTV12-33
vladimir@Sun.COM                                2550 Garcia Ave.
{decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!Eng!vladimir         Mountain View, CA 94043-1100
                         Disclaimer: I speak for myself.

jason@hpcndjdz.CND.HP.COM (Jason Zions) (05/14/91)

>I was under the impression that the IEEE does *NOT* make standards available
>electronically for two basic reasons:  (1) Money - the revenue from selling
>the standards goes to support the standards process and (2) the difficulty of
>ensuring that the standard you get is in fact the correct, unadulterated
>standard.

So far, correct. However, the IEEE Standards Department is reexamining the
issue in light of technology changes etc.; some answer should be expected in
the next few months.

Note: Although I chair an IEEE working group, this should not be construed
as a committment on the part of IEEE or anyone else, for that matter. I'm
relating what I understand of what's going on; I may be wrong, mistaken, or
confused (not to mention misled).

Jason Zions