[comp.lang.eiffel] prototyping and development tools

mgardi@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (M.Gardi - ICR) (04/06/89)

I am curious as to the extent of Object Oriented Systems in use in various
business settings.
The majority of work in this area seems to be on 'scientifc', or 'academic'
areas. Is there anyone out there who has built a business application using
this type of programming.
An example that we are considering is that of sales illustrations used as
tools in the insurance industry.
Other examples would be Financial systems, personal systems and such....ie
traditional business applications.

The second area I could use some information in is the extent of prototyping
in application development. Does prototyping and OO go hand in hand, or is
this another area that is just being rediscovered. Has anyone have any
references to development studies in this area?

Last but not least. Does anyone have a list or summary of current development
tools that have been created to support Object Oriented languages?
In particular, when can we expect vendors to have debuggers/inspectors,
language sensitive editors and such out for C++ and Eiffel.
I have seen one article on a C++ class browser by Raghaven,ramakrishnan and
Strater, but I am also curious when to expect something to appear on the PC.
Thanks in advance.
p.

Peter Devries
Mutual Life of Canada (519) 888-2957
c/o mgardi@watdcsu

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (04/08/89)

In article <5783@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> mgardi@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (M.Gardi - ICR) writes:

>I am curious as to the extent of Object Oriented Systems in use in various
>business settings.
>The majority of work in this area seems to be on 'scientifc', or 'academic'
>areas. Is there anyone out there who has built a business application using
>this type of programming.

There are many applications on the Macintosh that use Object Pascal (by using
MacApp).

| Glenn L. Austin             | The nice thing about standards is that      |
| Apple Computer, Inc.        | there are so many of them to choose from.   |
| Internet: austing@apple.com |       -Andrew S. Tanenbaum                  |
| All opinions stated above are mine -- who else would want them?           |