[comp.lang.eiffel] Is comp.lang.eiffel archived anywhere?

jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (05/26/89)

I will soon be going to Microsoft for the summer, and I will not be
able to access most of the existing newsgroups while there (they have
a very limited news feed).  I would particularly not like to miss out
on comp.lang.eiffel.  Is it archived anywhere, and could I possibly
obtain a copy of the archive at the end of the summer?

Thanks.

Rob Jellinghaus                | "Next time you see a lie being spread or a
jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU |  bad decision being made out of sheer ignor-
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |  ance, pause, and think of hypertext."
{everyone}!decvax!yale!robertj |     -- K. Eric Drexler, _Engines of Creation_

michaelw@microsoft.UUCP (Michael Winser) (05/30/89)

In article some article Rob Jellinghaus writes:
>I will soon be going to Microsoft for the summer, and I will not be
>able to access most of the existing newsgroups while there (they have
>a very limited news feed).  I would particularly not like to miss out
>on comp.lang.eiffel.  Is it archived anywhere, and could I possibly
>obtain a copy of the archive at the end of the summer?

Not only do we have a very complete news feed (from uunet) but
we archive all the comp news hierarchy.  We even read such exciting
but hard to find groups as comp.lang.eiffel and comp.lang.smalltalk! :-)

As an aside, how well does eiffel co-exist with Microsoft C 5.1?

Michael Winser
--
/\ no guts                                                       michael winser
\/ no glory             microsoft corp. (206) 882-8080, michaelw@microsoft.uucp

craigs@knuth.UUCP (Craig Statchuk) (06/02/89)

In article <5834@microsoft.UUCP> michaelw@microsoft.UUCP (Michael Winser)
writes:

>As an aside, how well does eiffel co-exist with Microsoft C 5.1?

The answer is: NOT VERY WELL.  This isn't very surprising considering
that MS C lives in a world where "int" is 16 bits and Eiffel
likes "int" to be 32 bits.  In general, these differences can be
handled with judicious use of typedefs and C MACROS.  We have successfully
ported *small* classes to MSDOS and OS/2 without too much difficulty.

Unfortunately, MS C does not perform well with *larger* classes (greater
than 50 lines of Eiffel code).  It seems that the C Macros generated by
pass 4 of Eiffel are too much for MS C to handle.  Typically, we get
three errors:

TEST.C(285) fatal error C1056: compiler limit : out of macro expansion space
MAIN.C(1264) fatal error C1002: out of heap space
BIG.C(345) compiler limit : macro expansion too big

We have successfully compiled the same C code on the SUN, VAX and C370.  Only
MS C exhibits these shortcomings and according to their Technical Support
People, no fixes to these problems are planned.

--
Craig Statchuk          P.O. Box 9707      UUCP: uunet!mitel!sce!cognos!craigs
Cognos Incorporated     3755 Riverside Dr.

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (06/04/89)

In article <6238@knuth.UUCP>, craigs@knuth.UUCP (Craig Statchuk) says:

>                             .  It seems that the C Macros generated by
>pass 4 of Eiffel are too much for MS C to handle.  Typically, we get

I believe that people have the same kind of problem when porting GNU
software to other C implementations.  I hear that GNU has "solved" the
problem by distributing a portable CPP (the pre-processor), and
I bet the same thing would work, or at least help ,with Eiffel, too.

tma@mas1.UUCP (Tim Atkins) (06/09/89)

In article <6238@knuth.UUCP> craigs@cognos.UUCP (Craig Statchuk) writes:
>In article <5834@microsoft.UUCP> michaelw@microsoft.UUCP (Michael Winser)
>writes:
>>
>>As an aside, how well does eiffel co-exist with Microsoft C 5.1?
>>
>The answer is: NOT VERY WELL.  This isn't very surprising considering
>Unfortunately, MS C does not perform well with *larger* classes (greater
>than 50 lines of Eiffel code).  It seems that the C Macros generated by

I experienced the same problems with Microsoft C when I ported Objective C to
OS/2.  I ended up porting cpp from PCC to OS/2 to solve the problem.  Of course
this required a bit of hacking to deal with some of Microsoft's conventions.

By the way, does anyone anticipate an OS/2 implementation of Eiffel anytime
soon.  OOPS is a wide open market in this environment.