[net.followup] More on the Interesting Seminar

dk@browngr.UUCP (David Kantrowitz) (03/15/85)

Here are some more theories you can add to the list (with a counter-argument
please):

The coals were not as hot as you were told they were.  Did you test them
with a dry leaf or piece of paper as you walked past?

Your body (perhaps as a result of the mental conditioning you have received)
produces some substance in your blood or lymph system that helps your feet
(or hands) resist burning.  I wish I had references but I remember hearing
once about a post-examination of a coal-walker's feet and they found some
unusual chemical that would do the trick.

Question: why should the fact that you can learn to walk on hot coals
and do karate tricks really easily imply that you can learn to do anything
really easily?	After all, perhaps walking on hot coals and smashing boards
are really very easy to do, once you know how.	Perhaps managing a company,
or writing a paper, will take more time to learn.
I don't see the relationship between amazing physical feats and
personal-skill or character improvement.
Could you clue me in on the obvious connection?

minow@decvax.UUCP (Martin Minow) (03/16/85)

First, I don't want to suggest that there is anything wrong with
neuro-linguistic programming or a "you can do it" seminar.  If
you attend such a seminar and believe you've learned something,
you probably have.  If the techniques change your life, than
you have my congratulations.

Firewalking and board breaking are two examples of things that
are not impossible, but rather amazing.  As such, they should
be seen not as goals in themselves, but rather as metaphors for
more difficult problems.

The physics of firewalking has been discussed elsewhere -- in
Scientific American a few years back, and in "The Flying Circus
of Physics" by Jearl Walker (I am told -- I haven't read it.)

There are two effects at work: first, coal doesn't conduct
heat well, nor does it contain much heat.  Second, the leidenfrost
effect which you can demonstrate by dropping some water on a
very hot iron frying pan.

It would probably be much more difficult to put your hand into
a working french-fry cooker, even though the oil temperature is
"only" 350 degrees F.  In fact, I'd strongly recommend you don't
try it.

Martin Minow
decvax!minow

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/18/85)

In article <330@boulder.UUCP> root@boulder.UUCP (Boulder Rootsie) writes:

>I have received numerous theories as to why peoples feet dont burn.  I would
>like to reply to some of them.  First, as far as I know, there is NO
>scientific explaination for firewalking.  We know how to do it but have no
>pat explaination as to why the feet dont burn.

As part of step-up day for high school seniors, professors from the Physics
department at UCLA walk on hot coals and perform other "unexplainable" feats.
They aren't doing it to fleece people out of their money, either.

						-- Scott Turner