[comp.lang.eiffel] Experiences with Eiffel

heuring@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Vincent Heuring) (02/14/89)

I've been reading Meyer's book on Object Oriented Software Construction,
and I see a lot of things about Eiffel that look appealing.  In particular,
assertions,  multiple inheritance, and the extensive library functions
caught my eye.  Also the regular way Eiffel deals with all 'features'
of objects.

Has anybody had any real-life experience with Eiffel, and does anyone
know the details of the 'Research and Teaching' license for CS Departments?

| Vince Heuring     Dep't of Electrical & Computer Engineering	|
| University of Colorado - Boulder        heuring@colorado.EDU	|

rieche@inf.ethz.ch (Barbara Rieche) (09/07/89)

I started working with Eiffel and feel quite confident
with the language. What I was wondering is what applications
have already been written by others. How well/fast/robust
are these applications running? Have you been able to use
the graphic library in a reasonable way?

Any practical information concerning Eiffel and graphics would
be most welcomed (I have had my own share of theory!). I,
myself, want to write a graphical editor with Eiffel.

Barbara Rieche			   e-mail: rieche@inf.ethz.ch
Institut fuer Informationssysteme
ETH-Zentrum
CH-8092 Zuerich, Switzerland

belle@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Steve Belle) (09/08/89)

In article <1797@ethz-inf.UUCP>, rieche@inf.ethz.ch (Barbara Rieche) writes:

> Any practical information concerning Eiffel and graphics would
> be most welcomed (I have had my own share of theory!). I,
> myself, want to write a graphical editor with Eiffel.
>

> Barbara Rieche			   e-mail: rieche@inf.ethz.ch
> Institut fuer Informationssysteme
> ETH-Zentrum
> CH-8092 Zuerich, Switzerland

 I have been using Eiffel 2.1 for a graphics application for about 4
 months. I have found, through my use of the software and my phone
 calls to ISE, that:

 1) The documentation does not reflect the state of the software.  Some
    documented classes/routines do not work (ISE admitted this to me)
    and some routines are present in the software and are not documented.

 2) Event handling is slow.  I found it best to mask out mouse motion
    completely or the application gets bogged down.

 3) ISE misrepresented their product to me when the failed to tell
    me, when I purchased the software,  that Eiffel 2.1 does not work
    well with any color monitor.  The literature I received made no
    mention of this fact.  I was told by technical support that ISE had
    no color monitors when they developed 2.1, so they just ignored them.

 I am not very happy with ISE's support of Eiffel right now.  I've been
 hearing since July 24 that 2.2 will ship "at the end of the week". I
 did get them to send me a tape, but my machine could not read it, so
 I had to send it back.  Has anyone out there received the upgrade to
 version 2.2? I'm anxiously awaiting 2.2 since I'm sure all the problems
 I've encountered so far have been fixed in the new release. :-)

 Steve Belle
 belle@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov