[comp.lang.eiffel] IBM Systems Journal comments on Eiffel

korson@hubcap.clemson.edu (Timothy Korson) (01/10/90)

"Other languages have been developed by adding object-oriented constructs
to existing procedural or functional languages.  For example, the languages
EIFFEL, C++, and Objective-C are extensions of the C language. FLAVORS is
an object-oriented extention to LISP..."

From the article "Object-Oriented Programming" by Dyke and Kunz in
IBM SYSTEMS JOURNAL, Vol 28, NO. 3, 1989.

tom@usblues.UUCP (Tom Markson) (01/10/90)

In article <7617@hubcap.clemson.edu> korson@hubcap.clemson.edu (Timothy Korson) writes:
> For example, the languages EIFFEL, C++, and Objective-C are extensions
> of the C language. FLAVORS is an object-oriented extention to LISP..."
>
> From the article "Object-Oriented Programming" by Dyke and Kunz in
> IBM SYSTEMS JOURNAL, Vol 28, NO. 3, 1989.

Once again, IBM shows it's total ignorance regarding new and progressive
programming languages.  It only goes to show you just how behind the times
Big Blue really is.

--
Tom Markson
			...!uunet!usblues!tom

weiner@novavax.UUCP (Bob Weiner) (01/11/90)

In article <7617@hubcap.clemson.edu> korson@hubcap.clemson.edu (Timothy Korson) writes:

   "Other languages have been developed by adding object-oriented constructs
   to existing procedural or functional languages.  For example, the languages
   EIFFEL, C++, and Objective-C are extensions of the C language. FLAVORS is
   an object-oriented extention to LISP..."

   From the article "Object-Oriented Programming" by Dyke and Kunz in
   IBM SYSTEMS JOURNAL, Vol 28, NO. 3, 1989.

Typical IBM misspeak.  This is just like saying that the XEDIT editor on
IBM mainframes is the only usable editor in the world.  If only it were
even usable. . .

--
Bob Weiner, Motorola, Inc.,   USENET:  ...!gatech!uflorida!novavax!weiner
(407) 364-2087

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (01/14/90)

In article <1733@novavax.UUCP>, weiner@novavax.UUCP (Bob Weiner) writes:
: Typical IBM misspeak.  This is just like saying that the XEDIT editor on
: IBM mainframes is the only usable editor in the world.  If only it were
: even usable. . .

Going from vi to xedit a few years ago was a bit tramatic for me, but now
that I'm familar with xedit I much prefer its capabilities to vi.  xedit
is a surprisingly useful editor once you get the hang of it.  Just recently
there was something in another group about a new feature called a folding
editor which had properities that xedit had several years ago.  (Unfortunately
I don't know what resulted in that group because my feed got nuked between
christmas and new years.).  I have not yet tried gnu-emacs, some day I hope
to have a machine powerfull enough and with enough disk space to load it up.

Because I'm defending IBM in this specific instance, I hope no one gets
the impression that I actually like the Great Satan.  But, every now and
then they do come up with a good idea.

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !andromeda!argus!ken *** NOT ken@bellcore.uucp ***