[comp.lang.eiffel] Eiffel on the Mac

darcyh@eiffel.UUCP (Darcy Harrison) (07/26/90)

The following announcement (extracted from a recent press release)
should be of interest to readers of this news group.

           INTERACTIVE AND THE KNOWLEDGE KONNECTION

            ANNOUNCE AGREEMENT FOR PORTING EIFFEL

             ON MACINTOSH OPERATING SYSTEM

Interactive Software Engineering announced today that it has
signed a formal agreement with The Knowledge Konnection (Oxnard, CA) for
porting its Eiffel software on the Macintosh operating system.

Eiffel is an advanced object-oriented language, method and environment
designed for the production of high quality software.  Eiffel emphasizes
reusability, extendibility, correctness and robustness.

``We are excited about bringing Eiffel to the Macintosh,''
said Joseph S. Terry, Jr., president of The Knowledge Konnection.
``We chose Eiffel because Eiffel is designed to take maximum advantage of
object-oriented design software engineering techniques.''

According to Darcy Harrison, ISE's Director of Marketing, ``This
high-caliber combination of Eiffel and the Macintosh will be the cornerstone
in the object-oriented engineering of quality software for
production applications in the PC world.''

(Rest of press release omitted.)

-- Darcy Harrison
darcyh@eiffel.com

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (07/28/90)

In <379@eiffel.UUCP> darcyh@eiffel.UUCP (Darcy Harrison) writes:
>Interactive Software Engineering announced today that it has
>signed a formal agreement with The Knowledge Konnection (Oxnard, CA) for
>porting its Eiffel software on the Macintosh operating system.

I am disturbed that Eiffel is being ported to the Mac and to MS-DOS by
different companies.  The $64K question in my mind is that between these
three companies (including ISE) what is the commitment to portability of the
*class libraries*?  If the articles announcing these ports mentioned this I
surely missed it.  Will I be able to write GUI code in Eiffel which is
completely portable between X, Mac OS, and Windows 3.0?  (Without having to
invent my own class libraries, of course!!)  Are all the companies involved
COMMITTED to this?  If not, folks, you are *missing the boat*.  As a programmer
who has written not a line of Eiffel code, but who is most impressed with Dr.
Meyer's book, I can tell you that I would not touch Eiffel with a ten foot pole
unless portability of the GUI class library interface can be achieved.
--
 Jim Rosenberg                                               -- cgh!amanue!jr
     CIS: 71515,124                              UUCP:         /    /    |

jwg1@gte.com (James W. Gish) (08/08/90)

In article <481@amanue.UUCP> jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>	... Will I be able to write GUI code in Eiffel which is
>	completely portable between X, Mac OS, and Windows 3.0?  (Without having to
>	invent my own class libraries, of course!!)  Are all the companies involved
>	COMMITTED to this?  If not, folks, you are *missing the boat*.  As a programmer
>	who has written not a line of Eiffel code, but who is most impressed with Dr.
>	Meyer's book, I can tell you that I would not touch Eiffel with a ten foot pole
>	unless portability of the GUI class library interface can be achieved.

Well, let's not jump to conclusions here.  Since you haven't written
any Eiffel, then you haven't used the graphics class library either.
You might want to look at it before you decide whether or not to base
your decision to use Eiffel on whether that particular library is
portable!

(Also, the current graphics library depends on X, so it would have to
be modified to sit on Windows 3.0, and use on the Mac would require X,
or it would have to be modified to use the Toolbox.)

ISE's original plans, as I recall, call for a, what you might call
"technology independent" graphics library, but they're not quite there.
--
Jim Gish (jgish@gte.com)
Principal Investigator