[net.auto] 4WD Owners Please Read

fish@ihu1g.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (02/28/84)

(oo)
All right, I've just about had it with you #$%&*@s!! It's bad enough
that you have to drive like maniacs when the pavement is dry, but when
the road is covered with snow, MUST you demonstrate your superior weight
and traction by passing little cars like mine at 10 mph over the speed
limit?  Look, you @$$&0^%s, just because YOU can get around in that
slop, there's no reason to assume everybody else can.  The draft you
create can blow a car off the road, and all the slush you spray around
with those big, fat tires doesn't do much for visibility.   SLOW DOWN!

If you're one of the few responsible drivers who happens to own one
of these rigs, please disregard this flame.  The rest of you know who
you are.  Flames will be forwarded to the DMVs in your respective states.
--

                               Bob Fishell
                               ihnp4!ihu1g!fish

marc@genrad.UUCP (Marc Smith) (03/06/84)

Well Bob, you do lead a hard life.
Not all of us 4WD people are so callous, but unfortunately like anything
else in this world there are people that just don't give a sh*t.  I fall
into the latter category.  If you are driving a vehicle that is so
unstable in the slush that someone passing 10MPH faster than you causes
you to lose control (assuming they don't hit you) then you are the
hazzard not the person passing (4wd or not).  This is also assuming that
the person passing was in full control of their vehicle during the entire
incident (insanity is no defense when driving).  By the way Bob, if that
truck really did have huge tires, it probably would had less control than you.
  Snow    Max Agressive tread  Minimum width (<10")
  Sand    Non Agressive tread  Maximum width (>12")
  Street  Non Agressive tread  Medium  width (8-10")
  Mud     Agressive tread      Maximum width (>12")
  A/T(me) Medium Agressive tr  Medium  width (10")
--
  [decvax!genrad!]marc  smith
  GenRad,  Inc.  Bolton  Mass

fish@ihu1g.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (03/06/84)

Owing to the number of flames I've gotten on my previous submission,
it's clear to me that you 4WD'ers either cannot read, or you have
an itchy trigger finger with the 'respond' command!  First of all,
what does any of that CRAP you've been sending me have to do with
driving courteously?!  My complaint wasn't that you mothers are
passing me, it's that you disregard the speed limit even when
there's slush or snow all over the road, which you drive on like
you own.

To the fellow who asked when the last time I had to get pulled out
of a ditch by one of you guys:  The answer is NEVER, because I don't
drive in such a manner as to put myself in one.

To the fellow who presumes that my car slides all over the place and
is therefore a hazard to others: my front-wheel-drive Honda Accord
is as surefooted a car as I've ever driven in snow, but that doesn't
mean I drive with impunity on a slippery pavement.

To the rest of you: I stated that you should ignore the article if
you are one of the few courtious drivers who happens to own such
a vehicle.  I know there are some of you out there.  That you chose
to flame on anyway proves that you are a discourtious, slush-spraying,
maniac roadhog who shouldn't be driving a kiddie car, let alone two
tons of rampaging iron! AAAAARGHHHHH! Go plow a driveway or something.
@#$%%&*!
--

                               Bob Fishell
                               ihnp4!ihu1g!fish

del@t4test.UUCP (Del Duncan) (07/18/84)

>Owing to the number of flames I've gotten on my previous submission,
>it's clear to me that you 4WD'ers either cannot read, or you have
>an itchy trigger finger with the 'respond' command!  First of all,
>what does any of that CRAP you've been sending me have to do with
>driving courteously?!  My complaint wasn't that you mothers are
>passing me, it's that you disregard the speed limit even when
>there's slush or snow all over the road, which you drive on like
>you own.
>
>To the fellow who asked when the last time I had to get pulled out
>of a ditch by one of you guys:  The answer is NEVER, because I don't
>drive in such a manner as to put myself in one.
>
>To the fellow who presumes that my car slides all over the place and
>is therefore a hazard to others: my front-wheel-drive Honda Accord
>is as surefooted a car as I've ever driven in snow, but that doesn't
>mean I drive with impunity on a slippery pavement.
>
>To the rest of you: I stated that you should ignore the article if
>you are one of the few courtious drivers who happens to own such
>a vehicle.  I know there are some of you out there.  That you chose
>to flame on anyway proves that you are a discourtious, slush-spraying,
>maniac roadhog who shouldn't be driving a kiddie car, let alone two
>tons of rampaging iron! AAAAARGHHHHH! Go plow a driveway or something.
>@#$%%&*!
>--
>
>                               Bob Fishell
>                               ihnp4!ihu1g!fish

I know this is old stuff by now, but I'm going through some old news
on our system and thought I'd offer a little input on the subject.

Yes, it's true that a some 4WD'ers tend to get carried away in those
great big machines with the little-car stomping tires on them.  But
so do a lot of idiots out there in traffic everyday that are driving
merrily along with their itty-bitty 2WD vehicle.

I got pulled out of a ditch one time and was very thankful for that
guy in his beautifully chromed and pinstriped Jeep CJ-7's willingness
to get his clean truck all mucked up in the mud to get me out.  I was
in the ditch to begin with as a result of some inattentiveness and
some bad brakes on a company van.  It was raining and the brakes
locked and I had to release the brakes and swerve into this ditch
to avoid another vehicle.  Anyway, this guy pulls up, had a chain,
and pulled me out.  I tried offering him some money for his trouble
and to clean his Jeep up, but he refused, so here's a vote for
the 4WD'ers.

On the other hand, here in the Santa Clara Valley, I've heard of an
awful lot of 4WD'ers tearing up farmers lands on the fringe of the
valley, crashing the gates and going crazy all over the place.  So,
yes, there are some rude people out there, but let's not confine
them to the 4WD category.