[comp.lang.eiffel] Segmentation faults

nhr@eng.cam.ac.uk (N.H. Russell CUED) (11/07/90)

My Eiffel program (or system!) has suddenly developed segmentation faults
which appear in apparently unrelated places as I make changes in a vain
attempt to track the problem down.  Precondition checks are on so the
Unix segmentation faults are not simply as a result of overlooked void
references in the Eiffel code.  Presumably the problem is something to
do with the compiler or run time system.  The faults appeared shortly
after I started using the ENVIRONMENT class to store objects (but not
immediately afterward).

Does anyone at ISE or elsewhere know what the problem might be?  We
run Eiffel V2.2B on a Sun 4 Sparc server.

Neil Russell
Cambridge University Engineering Dept, UK.
E-mail: nhr@uk.ac.cam.eng

roxier@eiffel.UUCP (Roxie Rochat) (11/10/90)

In article <16543@rasp.eng.cam.ac.uk>, nhr@eng.cam.ac.uk (N.H. Russell   CUED) writes:
> My Eiffel program (or system!) has suddenly developed segmentation faults
> which appear in apparently unrelated places as I make changes in a vain
> attempt to track the problem down.

To All Eiffel Users:

I've responded to Mr. Russell with a more specific set of questions,
but I'd like to take this opportunity to let you know what we need
in order to provide you with the most efficient turn-around time on
your questions.

When submitting a problem report, please include the following:
   Eiffel Version: (the version number from es)
   Machine/OS: machine type and OS version
   Synopsis: a one line summary of the problem
		to the problem, including (in a shar file if possible)
			the code and SDF to reproduce the problem,
			the erroneous output, and
			the expected output, if appropriate

Even if you can't include code, please do include the SDF (stripped
of comment lines): it answers a number of questions about which
options and/or combination of options are involved.

Code segments are, in many cases, the vital link to determining the
root of the problem, so please send us executable code whenever
possible.  If the code segment is more than a few routines, an on-line
copy via e-mail or on a floppy (make sure you label the floppy as to
tar/cpio format, contents, and machine) is most helpful.  Contact us if
you need a shell archive script (shar).

Our goal is to provide you with an implementation of Eiffel that is as
robust and reliable as possible.  To achieve that goal, we appreciate
feedback and bug reports from all Eiffel users, but we encourage you to
channel correspondence through the designated contact person at your
site since someone else there may already know the answer.  The contact
person should get in touch with your maintenance contractor (usually
your distributor), preferably via e-mail or fax rather than by phone.
If you wish to receive work-arounds, bug fixes and other consulting
advice, please make sure your maintenance contract is up-to-date.

Roxie Rochat
ISE Technical Support
(technical correspondence to: eiffel@eiffel.com)
(other requests for documentation and sales information to: queries@eiffel.com)