[comp.lang.eiffel] index of features and classes

giacomet@venus.ecn.purdue.edu (Frederic B Giacometti) (11/06/90)

  The utilisation of the "-i" option with the "short" command, as
described p.111 of "Eiffel: the environment" seems far from obvious to
me. In particular, having a natural apprehension concerning tinkering
with troff, the phrase "the troff variable xM is set to one" is
mysterious to me (is this a register? which one?).

  My library having reached a confortable size, I would be glad if I
could generate a nice documentation with index, which would help us to
easily keep up with the growing number of classes. So here are some
requests:

  - How does the index generation works (short -i) ? Some ready to use
shell commands would be particularly appreciated.

  - What is the elegant way to print the list of ancestors with the
'short | flat' output ?

Frederic Giacometti
School of Industrial Engineering
Purdue University

marc@eiffel.UUCP (Jean-Marc Nerson) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov5.183321.19444@ecn.purdue.edu>, giacomet@venus.ecn.purdue.edu (Frederic B Giacometti) writes:

>(...)
>In particular, having a natural apprehension concerning tinkering
>with troff, the phrase "the troff variable xM is set to one" is
>mysterious to me (is this a register? which one?).

	In the output file, say 'class_name.s' of short -i applied
	on your Eiffel class file, add the following first line:
		.nr xM 1
	which means in Troff language:
		``Define and auto-increment number register xM by 1''

	Then follow the Eiffel documentation and do:
		(nroff class_name.s > stdout_file) >& index
	To get an `index' file that you can then sort that way:
		sort -du +0.3 -o index index
	(see sort (1) fore more details on sorting options).

	On thing that should also be mentioned is that the `index'
	file should be printed without the default Troff formating.
	On way to do it is to add the following first line in your file:
		.nf
	which means in Troff language:
		``No filling or adjusting of output lines''

>  - What is the elegant way to print the list of ancestors with the
>'short | flat' output ?

	The list of ancestors can only be printed separately
	with command `ancestors'.

-- Jean-Marc Nerson
marc@eiffel.com