[comp.lang.eiffel] Need help with compilation

johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) (11/17/90)

I am learning Eiffel through a graduate course in OOLs at North Carolina State
(via National Technological University), and have just gotten Interactive's
Eiffel compiler version 2.3 installed on my Sun 3 workstation.  In going
through the "guided tour" of "Eiffel: The Environment", however, I am having
trouble getting the "point1" class to compile.  I have followed the directions
to the letter, and "short point1" works fine, but watch this:

skibum:/home/apollo/johnt/eiffel/guided_tour <77> ec point1.e
point1 not found in any of the directories
	specified with -n option.
*** ec: compilation canceled

The current directory contains all the $EIFFEL/examples/GUIDED_TOUR files,
including point1.e.  What gives?  Is something wrong with the installation?

I must add that from what I've seen so far about Eiffel, I'm impressed.  C++
and Ada (both of which I have had much experience with) can eat dirt if I can
ever get a program to compile...  ;-)

--
     John Townsend                 Internet:   johnt@meaddata.com
 c/o Mead Data Central             UUCP:       ...!uunet!meaddata!skibum!johnt

marc@eiffel.UUCP (Jean-Marc Nerson) (11/18/90)

In article <1965@meaddata.meaddata.com>, johnt@meaddata.com (John Townsend) writes:

> skibum:/home/apollo/johnt/eiffel/guided_tour <77> ec point1.e
> point1 not found in any of the directories
> 	specified with -n option.
> *** ec: compilation canceled

	1) Is your $EIFFEL environment variable properly set?
	2) Does your path include: $EIFFEL/bin?
	3) Have you rehashed your path?
	4) Is there any `.eiffel' file in your GUIDED_TOUR directory?
		If yes what is it?

	Please address customer support related mail messages to:
		eiffel@eiffel.com

	Thank you for your cooperation.

-- Jean-Marc Nerson
marc@eiffel.com