[comp.lang.eiffel] Looking for a good Eiffel book

rauscher@parsons.rutgers.edu (Rich Rauscher) (04/04/91)

Hi.  I am new to Eiffel and I am looking for a decent
book for learning it.  I have the "Eiffle: The ..." series
and don't particulary care for it, mostly because much of it
is out-dated.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Rich
--
-------------
rauscher@rutgers.edu                RPO 5997 PO 5063, New Brunswick, NJ 08903

bertrand@eiffel.UUCP (Bertrand Meyer) (04/13/91)

From <Apr.3.19.07.35.1991.1013@parsons.rutgers.edu>
by rauscher@parsons.rutgers.edu (Rich Rauscher):

> Hi.  I am new to Eiffel and I am looking for a decent
> book for learning it.  I have the "Eiffel: The ..." series
> and don't particulary care for it, mostly because much of it
> is out-dated.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

To correct the impression that this message carries: the series
mentioned by Mr. Rauscher, including

	Eiffel: The Language
	Eiffel: The Libraries
	Eiffel: The Environment

all of them published by Interactive Software Engineering,
is NOT out-dated. It faithfully describes the current
state of the system. This assumes of course that you have the
up-to-date version of these manuals: 2.3 for ``Libraries''
and ``Environment'', 2.2 for ``Language'' (which did
not change when version 2.3 was introduced in the Summer of 1990).

Whether you like these documents or not is, of course,
another matter. In any case they are not meant as material for
learning Eiffel from scratch, a goal for which other references
are available.
--
-- Bertrand Meyer
Interactive Software Engineering Inc., Santa Barbara

rauscher@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Rauscher) (04/15/91)

bertrand@eiffel.UUCP (Bertrand Meyer) writes:

>	Eiffel: The Language
>	Eiffel: The Libraries
>	Eiffel: The Environment
> all of them published by Interactive Software Engineering,
> is NOT out-dated...

My apologies, it was the software on our local system which
was out-dated, not the books.  It has subsequently been repaired.
--