[ncr.sys.unix] NCR Tower - PC File exchange

hl.rogers@ofc.Columbia.NCR.COM (hl.rogers) (02/16/90)

In article <5531@nucleus.mi.org> dar@nucleus.mi.org (Dario Alcocer) writes:
>Does anyone know how to transfer files between an NCR Tower machine
>running Unix and IBM PC-DOS file?  I noticed that the Tower has
>a 5-1/4" floppy drive, but the only way I can write to it is via
>cpio redirected to /dev/fd0.  After I do this, though, I can't read the disk
>on MS-DOS.
>
>Any suggestions?

In the on-line software description contained in /etc/RELDEF/your.release.
number.rd, there is a section that describes how to read and write to a
floppy disk having an IBM-PC format.  Just pull that file into your
favorite editor, do a search for IBM-PC, and read the section.  Of course,
if you have a hard copy of the Release Definition, it's just as easy to
look it up.

Note that the TOWER cannot format the diskette.  It has to have been
previously formatted.

There is a script called /usr/bin/pcnodes that will built device nodes
for the drive to operate as a PC-compatible drive with 256 byte sectors.
'pcnodes' builds device nodes for devices having 40 or 80 tracks,
single or double-sided, and 8 or 9 sectors per track (2**3, or 8, nodes
in all).

By the way, I believe this works only for the "MSC" controller, not
for SCSI...I could be wrong.

>Thanks in advance...

Hope this helps...good luck!
>Dario.
>--
>Dario Alcocer                | Internet: dar@nucleus.mi.org
>Associate Software Engineer  | voice: 619-270-1994, x5119
>Emerald Systems              | Standard disclaimers apply.
HL Rogers    (hl.rogers@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM)
Me?  Speak for my company??  HA!
"Call 202/653-1800 for a good time!" - John Matrow, 1989