[ba.windows.x] XView Information

miket@bnrmtv.UUCP (Michael Thompson) (05/03/89)

I don't think my first posting made it on the net, so I am trying again.
Sorry if this is redundant.
---------
Greetings,

I have been away from the X Windows world for about 6 months now and I
was wondering if any products have been introduced recently (or are about
to be released) which allow a source file for SunView to be compiled
and run under X Windows.  A while ago, Sun announced View2 (now called
XView) which claimed to do this.  Were they successful and is it
available yet?  If this information has already been gone over in these
groups, I am sorry to post such a request, but could anyone send me
a summary of what was discussed.

What I would like to be able to do is take an application written for
SunView and be able to compile and link it with a library so that it
behaves as a standard X Window client.  Any information on commercial
or publically available SunView X Windows toolkits would be very much
appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike Thompson
			  |  Michael P. Thompson, Member Scientific Staff   |
		 ###      |  BNR/Northern Telcom, Dept. 4Z15                |
####  #####    #########  |  685A E. Middlefield Road                       |
############ ###########  |  Mountain View, CA  94039-7277                  |
####    ####    ####      |  PH. (415) 940-2575  FAX. (415) 966-1067        |
####    ####### ########  |        amdahl! --\                              |
####     #####   ######   |  UUCP. ames! ----->-- bnrmtv!miket              |
			  |        hplabs! --/                              |

tomj@snowking.Sun.COM (Tom Jacobs) (05/19/89)

In article <5381@bnrmtv.UUCP> miket@bnrmtv.UUCP (Michael Thompson) writes:
> I don't think my first posting made it on the net, so I am trying again.
> Sorry if this is redundant.
> ---------
> Greetings,
>
> I have been away from the X Windows world for about 6 months now and I
> was wondering if any products have been introduced recently (or are about
> to be released) which allow a source file for SunView to be compiled
> and run under X Windows.  A while ago, Sun announced View2 (now called
> XView) which claimed to do this.  Were they successful and is it
> available yet?  If this information has already been gone over in these
> groups, I am sorry to post such a request, but could anyone send me
> a summary of what was discussed.

XView is currently in beta test.  We have shipped beta tapes to two
dozen official beta sites, and several hundred ISVs and volume users.
Initial feedback is very good.  A beta-2 release is about a month
away.  Full customer availability is scheduled for late summer.

XView provides a very high degree of source compatibility with existing
SunView programs (and with trained SunView programmers). If a transition
from SunView to X11 -- with the least possible effort -- is your goal,
XView's automated source conversion utility will do much of the work.

> What I would like to be able to do is take an application written for
> SunView and be able to compile and link it with a library so that it
> behaves as a standard X Window client.  Any information on commercial
> or publically available SunView X Windows toolkits would be very much
> appreciated.

Sorry, no compile-and-run solution exists.  The differences between a
kernel-based window system, like SunWindows, and a server-based window
system are too great to allow SunView applications to be recompiled
and work correctly on X11.  But X11/NeWS has something that might be
even better for your needs.  The X11/NeWS window server provides full
binary compatibility for SunView binaries to run "on top of" the X11
and NeWS windows.  You can CUT & PASTE between SunView, XView, and
any X11 applications which follow the ICCCM selection guidelines.
You can also CUT & PASTE to and from NeWS clients.  Of course, you
cannot run the SunView application on a different machine than the
X11/NeWS server is running on.  If you don't need network operation,
then you don't even need to recompile... but if you choose to convert
your SunView application to XView, then you will get network operation
and OPEN LOOK.  The tools and documentation to ease conversion are
available.

XView will ship as part of OpenWindows, which also includes X11/NeWS
and the OpenWindows DeskSet applications, on all three Sun architectures.
The XView source will be freely available from the X Consortium as
part of the X11 R4 release (and available via FTP before R4 is ready).
That's right, XView source is free.  No licensing required.

Beta snapshots of XView source are also being made available to some
hardware vendors and major ISVs even before the source is donated to
the X Consortium.  Licensing terms the same (that is, *free*).

For more information, contact:
		Smita Deshpande (smitad@sun.com)
		Sun Microsystems, XView Marketing Manager
		2550 Garcia Avenue, 12-33
		Mountain View, CA  94043
		(415)336-4829

Tom Jacobs (tomj@sun.com)