[ba.windows.x] UUCP "remote access denied" message from zok

mark@zok.UUCP (Mark W. Snitily) (11/08/90)

This is a reply to Scott Buchanan.  I've tried emailing to him twice
("buchansh%cldev%dupont.com@RELAY.CS.NET" and
"mips!RELAY.CS.NET!dupont.com!BUCHANSH%CLDEV")  Both attempts bounced.

Thought this might be of general interest, so...

Scott Buchanan wrote:
>        I am having troubles with UUCP. When I attempt to get some files
>I gwet the following message:
>file /usrX/contrib/color_xterm.tar.Z, system zok
>remote access to path/file denied
>
>        Why would I be getting this. I am coming in via the dialup UUCP
>with user Xauth.

(First off, the anonymous UUCP account is "UXarch", not "Xauth".  I presume
this was just a typo since you wouldn't have been able to log in otherwise.)

The real problem is a misleading error message from UUCP.  The

    "remote access to path/file denied"

error message should really be something like

    "no such file"

instead.

All files on zok in the "/usrX" directory tree are accessible to the
anonymous UUCP account "UXarch".  If you receive an "access denied"
message when trying to fetch a file from "/usrX", double check the
pathname/filename.  The "access denied" message from zok should be
interpreted as a "no such file" message.

I'm running System VR3.2, so unfortunately I have to condense filenames from
expo to a maximum of 14 characters.  The file "/contrib/color_xterm.tar.Z"
on expo is named "/usrX/contrib/colorxtm.tar.Z" on zok.

I keep the file creation dates the same as on expo, so you should be
able to correlate the file you want with the condensed filename.  Grab
a copy of "/usrX/expo/expo.ls-lR" for the latest expo filenames.  The
condensed filenames on zok are listed in "/usrX/ls-lR.Z".

---<end of reply to Scott>--------------------------------------------------

For those of you who would like to set up a UUCP connection to zok,
The following is cut from the comp.windows.x FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):

---------------
        A new west-coast UUCP X11 Archive is administered by Mark Snitily
(mark@zok.uucp) and contains the full X11R4 distribution, the XTEST
distribution, an entire archive of comp.sources.x and other goodies.
        The machine zok has a TB+ modem which will connect to 19.2K, 2400,
1200 baud (in that order).  The anonymous UUCP account is UXarch with password
Xgoodies.  The modem's phone number is 408-996-8285.
        A sample Systems (or L.sys) entry might be:
                zok Any ACU 19200 4089968285 in:--in: UXarch word: Xgoodies
        To get a current listing of the files that are available, download
the file "/usrX/ls-lR.Z".
        A full subject index of the comp.sources.x files is available in the
file "/usrX/comp.sources.x/INDEX".
        The machine has just the one modem, so please do not fetch large
amounts of data at one sitting.
[courtesy Mark Snitily, 2/90]
---------------

By "large amounts of data" all I meant was to please limit a single
connection to a max of a few hours.

Everything that's on expo (excluding bitmaps/images) is available via
UUCP from zok.  The archive is typically updated about once a week.

-- Mark

Mark W. Snitily                 Consulting Services:
894 Brookgrove Lane             Graphics, Operating Systems, Compilers
Cupertino, CA 95014             (408) 252-0456
mark@zok.uucp                   West Coast UUCP X11 archive site

If your mailer doesn't like the .uucp domain, these also work:
...!{mips,sgi}!zok!mark, mark%zok@mips.com, mark%zok@sgi.com