[gnu.ghostscript.bug] Does it work?

rob@ASRCMV.ALBANY.EDU (Robert D. Seals) (11/15/88)

Subject: ghostscript

Hi there,

This 'ghostscript' thang looks like a really great idea. I have loaded
it onto my machine, a "PC". I think of myself as a reasonably decent C hack,
with lots o' Unix experience. I have not been able to get that thing to
compile. I have Turbo C v.1.5, just as the authors'. The makefile is
probably a major contributor to the problem. It is a mess, and it appears
to try to cater to both Unix and Borland 'make'. May I suggest that someday
someone make 2 different makefiles?
This would be a really useful tool for me, since we have no Suns here,
because I do a fair amount of PS coding that is painful without a previewer.
Unfortunately, it is thusfar unusable.

Thanks,
rob

PS. I first sent this to 'gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu' and it was returned to
me to send it to ghostscript-bug. What is the scoop over there? Is there
a list of places to address certain comments to? For gcc, g++, gdb, etc?
Is there any news group that addresses these issues? I have not seen
anything resembling 'gnu' in my newsrc...

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (11/15/88)

In article <8811151231.AA15669@asrcmv.albany.edu> rob@ASRCMV.ALBANY.EDU (Robert D. Seals) writes:
>PS. ...Is there a list of places to address certain comments to? For
>gcc, g++, gdb, etc?  Is there any news group that addresses these
>issues? I have not seen anything resembling 'gnu' in my newsrc...

That's because your news administrator hasn't yet gotten a feed of the
gnu.all ("GNU's Not Usenet") news distribution heirarchy.  It includes
the following groups:

gnu.announce
gnu.chess
gnu.config
gnu.emacs
gnu.emacs.bug
gnu.emacs.gnus
gnu.emacs.lisp.manual
gnu.emacs.vms
gnu.g++
gnu.g++.bug
gnu.gcc
gnu.gcc.bug
gnu.gdb.bug
gnu.ghostscript.bug
gnu.test
gnu.utils.bug

Ask your "upstream" news feeds - surely someone on NYSERNet would be
willing to give them to you via NNTP.  Though the newsgroups are the
most efficient way to pass around the discussions, there is also a set
of corresponding mailing lists to which you may request addition.
Check with info-gnu-request@prep.ai.mit.edu for the list of lists.

deutsch@SUN.COM (Peter Deutsch) (11/16/88)

Rob,

You might want to contact Dave Goldblatt (dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu).
He had no trouble getting GhostScript to compile with Turbo C 1.5.
(He's having some trouble with Turbo C 2.0, which I haven't had the
chance to track down yet.)

I find that a single makefile works a lot better than trying to keep
two makefiles in sync.  For the next release, the makefile will be
substantially simpler -- some of what's in there now is leftovers from
the days when I was trying to cater to Microsoft make, which, compared
to both Unix and Turbo make, is really brain-damaged.

If you have suggestions for simplifying the way the makefile works on
the PC (which is what accounts for most of the complexity), I'd like to
hear them.

	- P. D.

blyde@cg-atla.UUCP (Sue Blyde) (12/02/88)

This is a test!