[gnu.ghostscript.bug] Examples

ghost@SUN.COM (L. Peter Deutsch) (03/14/89)

Chris,

I didn't save a copy of the 1.2 executable, but both the pyramid
example (it's kind of pretty) and BOOK0 run fine in my 1.3 prototype.
Can you tell me what error message they produce?

PHR1 blows up very quickly on an "undefined: letter" error.  The
problem is that it has some funky code in it that is specifically
designed for the Macintosh environment, expecting the Mac LaserPrep
file to have been loaded first.  This is bad style, but I don't know
what to do about it.  (PHR1 surely wouldn't run in NeWS or Display
PostScript systems, either.)

Simply running
	gs <foo.ps
where foo.ps contains the single line
	quit
will restore the display mode as of version 1.3.  I may make this
even easier by allowing you to put a small amount of code into the
command line, e.g.,
	gs "quit"
which you can then put into a script (.bat file).

I can see I'm going to want to put 1.3 out on the net very soon!

		- P. D.

		aladdin!ghost@parcplace.com
		...{sun!}parcplace!aladdin!ghost
		P. O. box 60264, Palo Alto, CA 94306

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris G. Sylvain) (03/15/89)

In article <8903130957.1.UUL1.3#5127@aladdin.UUCP> parcplace!aladdin!ghost@SUN.COM (L. Peter Deutsch) writes:

>I didn't save a copy of the 1.2 executable, but both the pyramid
>example (it's kind of pretty) and BOOK0 run fine in my 1.3 prototype.
>Can you tell me what error message they produce?

I extracted a fresh copy of BOOK0 from my copy of the archive. The error
message vanished. No such luck with PHR1 (you explained why that's so), nor
with PYRAMID.

Upon completion, pyramid produces:

Interp returns -21
estack:
32ad38d8: oper x------e    0   1b2
32ad38e0: arry xrw----e    6   81f
32ad38e8: null x------e    e     3
32ad38f0: bool xr------    0     0
32ad38f8: file xr-----e    a     8

I've got another file that produces a "No Smoking" sign which produces a
message with ostack: and estack: in it.

>[...]
>	quit
>will restore the display mode as of version 1.3.  I may make this
>even easier by allowing you to put a small amount of code into the
>command line, e.g.,
>	gs "quit"
>which you can then put into a script (.bat file).

That sounds good to me. I certainly know what state my display began in, so
I certainly can tell GS what state to leave me in after it's done. "Don' leave
me hangin'!"
--
.. and stood awhile in thought. ..