[gnu.ghostscript.bug] ghostscript 1.2

zmls04@UUNET.UU.NET (Martin L. Smith) (03/20/89)

Originally tried to post this to gnu.ghostscript.bug but that's not locally
recognized as a newsgroup.

 From: zmls04@.uucp ()
Newsgroups: gnu.ghostscript.bug
Subject: Ghostscript 1.2 on a PC
Expires:
Spent some time trying to bring 1.2 up on an AT with Turbo C V1.5,

1.	there was an outright bug in the file containing the arithmetic
	primivites.  The one for `div` would always fail if the second
	argument (top of stack) was an integer because the test for zero
	divisor had an (obvious) bug.  This bug caused ghost.ps to fail
	on startup.

2.	the compilation produced many complaints (warnings; there were no
	errors) about pointers to structures of undefined type.  These were
	triggered by references of the form
		struct HotStuff *HS;
	where HotStuff was not declared.  I presume that this happened on
	Unix systems as well.  I suggest you consider clearing this up.  The
	deluge of messages makes it hard to spot any real problems.

3.	gt.exe appeared to work ok.  it left the ega's colors scrambled.

4.	i ran gs.exe on a short script (copied from the tutorial) that makes
	three rows of circles across the page.  it made the first row and
	appeared to hang.

You might consider:

-	leaving an .exe version available somewhere (with its support files).

-	including a test.ps which holds the scripts you used in testing.

Sorry this is all complaints.  I'm really impressed by the power of this beast
and anxious to see it hum.

Thanks, from the world.

ghost@SUN.COM (L. Peter Deutsch) (03/22/89)

> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 89 08:51:17 CST
> From: parcplace!sun!uunet.uu.net!apctrc!gpe3!zmls04 (Martin L. Smith)
> To: bug-ghostscript%wheaties.ai.mit.edu
> Subject: ghostscript 1.2
>
> 1.	there was an outright bug in the file containing the arithmetic
> 	primivites.  The one for `div` would always fail if the second
> 	argument (top of stack) was an integer because the test for zero
> 	divisor had an (obvious) bug.  This bug caused ghost.ps to fail
> 	on startup.

This bug has already been reported.  It'll be fixed in 1.3.

> 2.	the compilation produced many complaints (warnings; there were no
> 	errors) about pointers to structures of undefined type.  These were
> 	triggered by references of the form
> 		struct HotStuff *HS;
> 	where HotStuff was not declared.  I presume that this happened on
> 	Unix systems as well.  I suggest you consider clearing this up.  The
> 	deluge of messages makes it hard to spot any real problems.

These messages are a result of the way I get around C's lack of data
abstraction.  I have an alternative way to handle this that will
break lint and some debuggers, but will get rid of the messages.  I
have a different alternative way to handle it that will slow
everything down and create a lot of new compilation dependencies, and
I'd rather not use it.

> 3.	gt.exe appeared to work ok.  it left the ega's colors scrambled.

Also fixed in 1.3.

> 4.	i ran gs.exe on a short script (copied from the tutorial) that makes
> 	three rows of circles across the page.  it made the first row and
> 	appeared to hang.

I typed in exactly the same code (from pp. 69-70 of the blue book)
and it worked just fine.  Again, though, this is 1.3, with some fixes
that haven't made it out to the net yet.

> You might consider:
>
> -	leaving an .exe version available somewhere (with its support files).

Starting with 1.3, I'll be including gs.exe and gs.map in the
fileset, compiled with the most conservative flags (8088 instructions
only, and full source line number information).

> -	including a test.ps which holds the scripts you used in testing.

Unfortunately, almost all of my test files are copyrighted material
from Adobe publications, which I can legally type in and use myself,
but not distribute.  I'd be thrilled if someone out there would put
together an independent test suite.

> Thanks, from the world.

Thank *you* for reporting problems and helping make Ghostscript better.

		- P. D.

		aladdin!ghost@parcplace.com
		...{sun!}parcplace!aladdin!ghost
		P. O. box 60264, Palo Alto, CA 94306