[net.auto] Turbo 944

robert@hpfcnml.UUCP (robert) (08/06/84)

I read in the recent Road and Track that the turbo 944 is now available
in Europe!  Does anyone know any more about this?  Can this car be
imported to the US?  When will it be ready for official shipment to the
US?
				thanks,
					Robert (animal) Heckendorn

robert1@ihuxx.UUCP (Robert Duncan) (08/14/84)

	Re: Turbo 944

> From: robert@hpfcnml.UUCP (robert)
> Newsgroups: net.auto
> Subject: Turbo 944
>
> I read in the recent Road and Track that the turbo 944 is now available
> in Europe!  Does anyone know any more about this?  Can this car be
> imported to the US?  When will it be ready for official shipment to the
> US?
> 				thanks,
> 					Robert (animal) Heckendorn

	Dear <animal>,

	No need to import it yourself, Porsche of America will be happy to
do that for you very soon.  You may, of course, opt to pick the car up at
the factory (Euro delivery) at the usual price savings (~$2000), and have it
shipped to you in the U.S. after you are finished with your jaunt through
Europe.

	The latest news is:

	- '85 price info is not yet available, including 944 Turbo.
	  Informed guesstimates have the entry Turbo 944 at $ ~30K.
	  The price creep of the 944 agains points to the need for
	  an entry-level [read lower-cost] Porsche, which is being
	  developed.

	- price info may be available in a couple of weeks

	- '84 model will be produced later in the year, to fill
	  existing orders for the 1984 model that could not be filled
	  due to the recent metal workers strike.

	- '85 model will include new instrumentation, and new driver
	  position, and a racing history (in the prototype stage)
	  hints at greatness (I love the non-turbo, but this car has
	  had superior handling that begs for more horses in order to
	  complete the package).  The 944 vs. Corvette matchup may be
	  quite a race in the next few years in the showroom and on
	  the track.

BOTTOM LINE(s):  1985 944 Turbo may be available in January 1985.
"See your dealer for new price and availability info".

	a proud '84 owner,

		Robert Duncan
		AT&T Bell Laboratories @ Naperville, IL
		(312) 979-0353