[rec.humor.funny] Collection of new benchmark names

rob@amber.UUCP (Rob Adams x5527) (03/24/89)

{Note to Ed.  These were culled from comp.arch over the last
several days.  I know it's a collection, I know it's too long,
and I know that it's only passing funny; I promise not to kill
Salmon Rushdie if you reject it.  I maintained the spelling and
grammar from the original postings; YOU try running a spell checker
on this file!}

Alan Lovejoy (alan@pdn.nm.paradyne.com) wrote:
>It seems that *h*stone has become a standard infix/prefix for naming
>computer benchmarks.  It might be interesting to collect a list of
>all the benchmarks whose names have this form, and to entertain
>suggestions for new, perhaps whimsical, benchmark names that would
>use this infix/prefix.

>Stoned Benchmarks:

>Whetstone (floating-point)
>Dhrystone (integer)
>Dhampstone (integer and floating-point)
>Rhealstone (real-time/tasking)
>"IO-stone" (there is an IO benchmark that uses -stone, but I forget its name)

>Suggestions for Stoned Benchmarks:

>An animation benchmark might be called the "Flhintstone" :-).

To which many others responded:

RhollingStone		For benchmarking sound generation systems

Sahndstone		For benchmarking silcon (get it, sand) chips

Soahpstone		For measuring daytime cable tv usage

Flahgstone		For benchmarking boolean operations

WhatStone?		For statistical verification of psuedo randome
			number generators

Rhosettastone		Natural language translation benchmark

Whystone                Asks the computer why bother a whole
			bunch of times

Wherestone              I dunno, turns the computer into a hairy stone
			if the moon is full? (groan)

Captain Blighstone	Does some sort of micro-mutiny

Sighstone               Relates performance time to how bored the
			operator is with doing benchmarks

Chrystone (crystone)	The operator is *thouroughly* bored now

Sthystones (Stystnes)	Show operator how messy insides of computer
			is in relation to its speed

Ehverybodymustgetstone	Tests the degree of nondeterminism in an
			instruction set

BhlarneyStone		For Benchmarking Vaporware!

Lhoadstone              Benchmark that is a lhoad of <insert favorite
			expletive here>

Firestone		Where your mileage may vary :-)

Khidneystone		Medical expert systems benchmark

Gallstone		For evaluating medical diagnostic expert systems

Yhellowstone		Simulates a "let-it-burn" policy on your
			computer's memory

Lhivingstone		Benchmark for anthropology in Africa

Hheadstone		Benchmarking of defunct processes.

Shlyandthefamilystone	Measures how "funky" your system is

WhatStone?		The benchmark for voice recognition systems :)!

Cherrystone		The number of novice roots users a machine can survive

BhlackStone		Used to benchmark magic tricks

Schissorspaperstone	A series of benchmarks that can be used to
			prove any machine architecture superior
			to any other

Mhilestone		How many design revisions, i.e. laps around the
			engineering department before the project collapses.
			[ ... or is that millstone ?]

Sly and the Fhamily Stone Benchmark for soul music

GhallStones		Measures audacity of claims by system engineers
			or administrators or used-car salesmen

KhidneyStones		Measures rate at which you get pissed off by
			vendors or administrators or used-car salesmen
			(right now running at about 7 KS)

Shandstone		A benchmark of the raw electrical performance
			of the silicon used in the processor chips

Stihcks&stone		Benchmarks the number of bad things you can say
			about the operating system per second

Ehstone			How many Canadians, like, worked on the system, eh?

Thunderstone		Measures floating-point speed by simulation of
			falling meteors

Touchstone		Resolution test for touch/screen sensors

Standingstone		Benchmark by iterated astronomical calculations.
			Phase-of-moon dependent. Requires operator to
			wear animal skins.

Lhimestone		Extent to which purchase of system leaves sour taste
			in customer's mouth

Shoapstone		Measures how clean design is

Bhlarneystone		Rigorous test of Irish computing systems

Bhlackstone		Checks magic numbers of files

Ghallstone		Rigorous test of medical systems

Hharrystone		Tests whether an input voice pattern is Mel Torme's

Swhordinthestone	Finds the Once and Future computer architecture

Rhhinestone		Tests for cheap flashy computer architectures

Fhirestone		Number of lazy, good for nothing, goldbricks which
			can be laid off upon installation of a computer system.
			There are two accepted pronounciations:
				fa-hire-stone	(as in I am)
			or	fire-stone	(as in you are)

Stonestone		Relative merit of smoke

Brought to you by:

Leonard T. Armstrong
Dave Binette
Donald C. Currie
Myron Deale
Akash Deshpande
Kevin Ferguson
Robert Firth
Steve Fowler
Robert Garvey
Don Gillies
Kim L. Greer
John Hogg
Steve Melvin
Tom Merkel
Scott Neugroschl
David Newton
Daryl Odnert
Robert M. Panoff
Gary Piatt
Renu Raman
Eric S. Raymond
Rick Richardson
Warren Seltzer
Jim Shankland
Neil Weinstock
Ed Wright
and
Devin_Ben-Hur@cup.portal.com

----
Rob Adams
Interleaf, Inc.
Cambridge, MA
rob@ileaf.com

--
Edited by Brad Templeton.  MAIL, yes MAIL your jokes to funny@looking.UUCP
Attribute the joke's source if at all possible.  I will reply, mailers willing.