[net.auto] danger region: nonintercepted speeds

jeff@tesla.UUCP (08/02/84)

From: jeff (Jeff Frey)
A recent correspondent indicated that he thought the "danger region"
(speed above which he would be stopped by a radar-equipped cruiser)
was 64mph.  Would this not be state-dependent?

So, how about a survey here on what speeds (in zones of what speed)
people have been stopped at?  Include state, please.

JF

ashwin@uicsl.UUCP (08/04/84)

#R:tesla:-41300:uicsl:26900001:000:303
uicsl!ashwin    Aug  4 15:14:00 1984

<>

A friend of mine always claimed that 62 mph was the upper limit; he said he
had driven past cops at 62 without being stopped but he had been stopped at
63.  His experience was chiefly limited to Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.  (Of
course, it could be that his old rattletrap didn't do more than 62...)

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (08/06/84)

> A friend of mine always claimed that 62 mph was the upper limit; he said he
> had driven past cops at 62 without being stopped but he had been stopped at
> 63.  His experience was chiefly limited to Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.  (Of
> course, it could be that his old rattletrap didn't do more than 62...)

Even if the patrollers were that picky, I doubt very much that you
could trust *any* car's speedo to the accuracy of 1 mph.  That's 1.5%
margin of error at around 60 mph, and should you check some recent
road tests in car mags, you'll find that it is not very often that
this tolerance is reached even in *new* cars.

I think more than the absolute speed of the vehicle the deciding
factor would be the speed in relation to other traffic.  On the 401
(here in Ontario), the speed limit is 100 km/h (about 62 mph for you),
and yet the Ontario Provincial Police will allow most cars to drive at
115 km/h (usually).  However, if everybody elese is going at 100, and
you are at 115, watch out!  Also, factors like traffic conditions,
weather and road conditions come into play.  It's generally much
better to play it according to the current situation, instead of
religiously setting your cruise control to 62 mph every time.

	Tom Haapanen
	{allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

	"WEC is back in North America --- long live Mosport!"

ashwin@uicsl.UUCP (08/07/84)

#R:tesla:-41300:uicsl:26900002:000:887
uicsl!ashwin    Aug  7 12:13:00 1984

<>

I think you missed the point of the discussion, Tom.  I agree with what you
have to say, but we were looking for a "safe speed vs. zone (or state)"
distribution based on people's experiences.  I do *not* advocate religiously
setting the ol' cruise control to 62;  however, at speeds of approximately
62mph under average conditions and circumstances you have a good chance of
not being stopped in IL, IN and OH.  The "approximately" qualification covers
speedometer error, abnormal traffic or road conditions, and the cop whose
wife had a headache the night before.

Incidently, in California they don't seem to have any speed limits.  I
recently drove over 2000 miles in a round-the-state trip, and I didn't see
a single vehicle stopped for speeding, even though the traffic was moving at
speeds between 60 and 90.  70 to 75 appeared to be the best speed to "stay
with the traffic".

zemon@felix.UUCP (Art Zemon) (08/07/84)

I have found two "safe regions".  The first is roughly what
traffic is doing.  E. g., 65 is safe is traffic is running at
about that speed.

The second is anything above the speed of police comminications
radio.

I prefer the second....

an@hou2h.UUCP (A.NGUYEN) (08/08/84)

> .. he said he had driven past cops at 62 without being stopped
> but he had been stopped at 63.

Good grief, man, you're talking about splitting hairs here!  Most
speedos aren't repeatable to 1 mph.  Most *PEOPLE* aren't repeatable
to 1 mph!  I suggest your friend look into the color of his socks,
the phase of the moon, etc.

	Au

mikey@trsvax.UUCP (08/08/84)

#R:tesla:-41300:trsvax:55200096:000:643
trsvax!mikey    Aug  8 10:12:00 1984

There is no obligation for a police officer to let you go at even 1
mph over the speed limit.  However, in practice a 5-8 mph buffer
is fairly common.  I heard somewhere that while the accuracy of
speedos in the US is fairly poor, there is some law that mandates
that if they are off, they must read on the high side so that you
will be at or below any indicated speed.  When traveling, I usually
go with the flow of traffic, but not (usually) more than 10 over.
Once you are in the top 10 percentile and more than 5 over, you begin
to attract the kind of attention that you may not like.

mikey

55, it's not just a good idea, it S*CKS!

sean@zinfandel.UUCP (Sean Gilligan) (08/09/84)

----------
I recently attended defensive driving school in the SF Bay Area,
(I got a ticket for doing 65 in a 55), and the California
Highway Patrolman teaching the class said he allows for a 7 mph
innaccuracy in a speedometer.  In other words, he'll pull someone
over for going 62.  He said it varies from officer to officer,
though.
			Be careful out there...

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (08/09/84)

> From ashwin@uicsl.UUCP Tue Aug  7 13:13:00 1984
>
> I think you missed the point of the discussion, Tom.  I agree with what you
> have to say, but we were looking for a "safe speed vs. zone (or state)"
> distribution based on people's experiences.  I do *not* advocate religiously
> setting the ol' cruise control to 62;  however, at speeds of approximately
> 62mph under average conditions and circumstances you have a good chance of
> not being stopped in IL, IN and OH.  The "approximately" qualification covers
> speedometer error, abnormal traffic or road conditions, and the cop whose
> wife had a headache the night before.

But you can still judge the 'safe' speeds by the flow of the traffic...

tbul@trsvax.UUCP (08/09/84)

#R:tesla:-41300:trsvax:55200097:000:720
trsvax!tbul    Aug  9 12:29:00 1984

/***** trsvax:net.auto / uicsl!ashwin / 12:13 pm  Aug  7, 1984 */
<>
Incidently, in California they don't seem to have any speed limits.  I
recently drove over 2000 miles in a round-the-state trip, and I didn't see
a single vehicle stopped for speeding, even though the traffic was moving at
speeds between 60 and 90.  70 to 75 appeared to be the best speed to "stay
with the traffic".
/* ---------- */

I spent July in CA (Anaheim - LA area) and the speeders were being caught
often.  Nearly every time I headed toward the Riverside area, I would see
people caught.  55 is fine with me and I chortled every time I saw one.

The people seem to average about 60 - 65 mph in the LA area with
a few getting up to 75 or so.

chris@umcp-cs.UUCP (08/11/84)

I don't know why everyone's arguing over ``nonintercepted speeds''.
I've never gotten a speeding ticket in my life.  (Of course the fact
that the Chevette Scooter doesn't like going > 50 mph might have
something to do with it . . . .)

Come on, people.  You don't have to like the law, and if you don't like
it, you can (should?) work to change it, but just breaking it isn't
likely to help much.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci (301) 454-7690
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

phil@amd.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (08/12/84)

Speed limits? What speed limits? Just go with the flow, man.

--
 amd70 is dead, tell a friend
 Phil Ngai (408) 982-6554

morton@bolton.UUCP (Jim Morton) (08/14/84)

	a state cop (NY) explained their "upper limit"
	as being 62 because they "give" you 5 mph, plus
	allow +-2 mph for those with cruise control...
--

 Jim Morton,  GenRad Inc., Bolton, MA  	...decvax!genrad!bolton!morton