[net.auto] auto theft alarm stickers

frank@scorplx.UUCP (Frank Pavelski) (08/27/84)

food

I just recently installed a very expensive sound system in my very inexpensive
car. I was hoping that someone out there could tell me how I might obtain
a sticker that warns any would be theif that my car is protected by an alarm.

This, for obvious reasons, would be a much cheaper investment.

Thanks in advance!
                                 signed,

 				   A gulf coast beach bum at heart.

tggsu@resonex.UUCP (Tom Gulvin Root) (08/29/84)

Regardless of your luck finding stickers - be sure that you have your ins.
co. place a rider on the stereo and any damage that the thieves might do
in removing it.
	Tom Gulvin - Resonex, Inc. - Sunnyvale, CA

rcd@opus.UUCP (08/30/84)

>I just recently installed a very expensive sound system in my very inexpensive
>car. I was hoping that someone out there could tell me how I might obtain
>a sticker that warns any would be theif that my car is protected by an alarm.

Bad idea.  You can get stickers--I've seen them--that indicate an alarm
system.  Trouble is, they're very identifiable, and any thief with a little
experience will recognize the sticker as belonging to a nonexistent alarm
system.  The ones I've seen are yellow lettering on a green background;
they say something about an electronic (or maybe automatic) alarm system.
I'm not a thief, and even I recognize that they're only a simple ruse.
Of course, if there are only stupid (or neophyte) thieves where you live,
it might work.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...I'm not cynical - just experienced.

kitten@pertec.UUCP (karen hettinger) (08/30/84)

A sticker wouldn't do you a bit of good, for both ametuer and professional
thieves.  All they'd do is bump the car, or otherwise test it, find that
nothing happened, and continue to break into the car.  That is, of course,
assuming they don't already recognize the sticker as "one of those stickers
for people who don't want to pay to protect their investment".

It's just like an expensive car...say you win money, go out and buy a
Mercedes.  But you're just a garbage collector, and can't afford to
maintain it properly or have it repaired.  If you're going to get an
expensive system, you have to do one of two things: 1. active method-
get a good alarm.  2. passive method- disguise your system....use a
cheap decoy tuner, hide the speakers with acoustically invisible
fabric, hide the tuner somewhere in the dash or console, with a removable
panel, keep the graphic equalizer in the glove compartment, you should
only need to set it once and forget it.

Hope this helps.
kitten~
scgvaxd!pertec!kitten

gmac@hocda.UUCP (G.R.MACGREGOR) (09/01/84)

Subject: 4x4s

	I'm thinking of buying a 4x4 very shortly (for ski season). I don't
know a heck of a lot about engines, etc. I'm looking for a reliable, robust,
easily maintained version which can still skip daintily through the winter
wastelands of deepest New England. I'll have to buy it second-hand, as I can't
afford to spend $15k plus on wheels. Are there any experts out there who might
be able to advise ? Any comments much appreciated.
(...hocda!gmac)
			Thanks in advance,
					Gordon MacGregor
					AT&T Bell Labs