[u3b.tech] Are there any redeeming qualities of a 3B5/3B15?

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (07/12/89)

Hi folks,

     We have a customer with a 3B15 running Sys V Release 3.1,
and we generally like it a lot (I develop on it about half-time)
However, my Everex STEP/25 80385 machine beats the 3B15 for every
benchmark I can find, and this surprises me.  While certainly a
25MHz 80386 with a good cache will beat it for CPU-bound tasks, I
find that an ESDI drive on the 386 beats the SMD drive on the
3B15.  I suspect that while the SMD interface has much higher
bandwidth, the 14MHz WE32100 CPU just can't push it fast enough.

     Does anybody know of things where a 3B15 will beat an
80386 machine (or a 3B2/600 for that matter)?  I would really
like to avoid AT&T bashing here, but real experience is welcome
no matter how brutal.

     Please email, I'll summarize and post, etc.

     Thanks much,
     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc. / Santa Ana, CA / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / friedl@vsi.com  / {attmail, uunet, etc}!vsi!friedl

edw@wells.UUCP (Ed Wells) (07/13/89)

Stephen J. Friedl writes:
>      We have a customer with a 3B15 running Sys V Release 3.1,
> and we generally like it a lot (I develop on it about half-time)
> However, my Everex STEP/25 80385 machine beats the 3B15 for every
> benchmark I can find, and this surprises me.  While certainly a
> 25MHz 80386 with a good cache will beat it for CPU-bound tasks, I
> find that an ESDI drive on the 386 beats the SMD drive on the
> 3B15.  I suspect that while the SMD interface has much higher
> bandwidth, the 14MHz WE32100 CPU just can't push it fast enough.
>
>      Does anybody know of things where a 3B15 will beat an
> 80386 machine (or a 3B2/600 for that matter)?  I would really
> like to avoid AT&T bashing here, but real experience is welcome
> no matter how brutal.

  I have also done some interesting testing.  I have a 16 Mhz cached 80386
clone on the AT bus and a VME/3B system (a 3B on the VME bus made by
AT&T).  The VME/3B is a 18 Mhz version.  Both systems have 4 MB of ram
memory at 0 wait states, hard drives with comparible access times.  If fact,
the VME/3B is 12 mS and the 80386 is about 18 mS.  The 80386 is running
Xenix and the VME/3B is running System V.3.  Althought the operating
systems are different, I put something in memory and monitored its in-memory
progress while I tied the processors up with other memory/disc activity
to try to get an idea as to how its performance was effected.  This
should have given me a good "processor" test.  Neither processor was
busy enough to cause swapping.

  In every case with single tests (while in multi-user mode), the '386
beats the VME/3B, however, on big difference is that the 80386 is known
to fall like a rock on performance whereas the VME/3B has a nice gradual
slope.  I have generally found that the 80386 is normally tied up in
mountains of page faults per second when the performance vanishes.

  I like both systems, however, they both have their pros and cons.
  Anybody else have similar experiences?  I'd like to hear from you
if you have.

Edward E. Wells Jr., President			    Voice: (215)-943-6061
Wells Computer Systems Corp., Box 343, Levittown, Pa. 19058
{dsinc,francis,hotps,houxl,lgnp1,mdi386,pebco}!wells!edw