[u3b.tech] Subnetting on a 3B2

jkg@gatech.edu (Jim Greenlee) (08/31/89)

In article <6354@turnkey.gryphonTCC.COM> jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM writes:
>Unless there is something peculiar about Wollongong, and I doubt it, one
>sets up a subnet using the ifconfig command, it should be of the form:
>
>	ifconfig interface IP-address netmask 0xffffff00
>                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>The netmask is what determines the class of the subnet, also remember that
>all the hosts you want on your subnet better be set up similarly.

[ Cross-posted to comp.sys.att and u3b.tech - followups directed to
  those groups only, since this is probably getting too 3B2-specific ]

The version of "ifconfig" that came with our WIN TCP/IP (version 1.0) does
not offer "netmask" as a valid option. Do more recent versions support it?
Is the lack of a netmask option a hardware or software limitation? Will an
upgrade of the WIN TCP/IP help?

I just recently became interested in this stuff, so I'm looking for answers
rather than supplying them. Our department is moving to a new building in a
couple of weeks (where we will have to use sub-nets), so I have suddenly
developed a rather pressing need to solve this problem. Any help would be
appreciated.

						Jim Greenlee
--
Jim Greenlee - Instructor, School of ICS, Georgia Tech     jkg@gatech.edu

Jryy, abj lbh'ir tbar naq qbar vg! Whfg unq gb xrrc svqqyvat jvgu vg
hagvy lbh oebxr vg, qvqa'g lbh?!

jrallen@devildog.UUCP (Jon Allen) (08/31/89)

>The version of "ifconfig" that came with our WIN TCP/IP (version 1.0) does
>not offer "netmask" as a valid option. Do more recent versions support it?

WIN/TCP version 3.0 on the 3B2s offers the netmask as a valid
option to the ifconfig command.   This is a feature of the software.

-Jon
jrallen@acpy01.att.com