[u3b.tech] 3B2 problems galore

jkg@gatech.edu (Jim Greenlee) (08/31/89)

I have several 3B2/310s that are exhibiting all sorts of weird problems. I
depend on these machines for a couple of classes I teach, but they are not
under any sort of maintenance, so I get to fix them when they break. Not
having any sort of technical manuals makes this difficult when something goes
wrong. Any help you net folks can give me will be appreciated.

All the machines are leftovers from the massive donations that AT&T made a
few years ago. They have 30 MByte CDC disks, 2 Meg of RAM, an NI card, and
at least one PORTS card. We are running SVR3.0 and use WIN TCP/IP 1.0 for
our networking support. We recently bought SVR3.2, which I would like to
install (once I get everything working, of course :-).

I currently have 3 completely working 3B2s and various parts of others that
I am trying to make into working ones - I think I have enough parts to get
two more up and running (if I can get all the parts to work, that is). One
of the working machines is being used to swap out and test the parts of the
others.

I have one hard drive that generates a SANITY FAILURE when I try to boot from
it. I have a copy of the MTCE utilities, so I think I can take care of that
one. I have two other drives that do absolutely nothing. They spin up, the
machine passes diagnostics, and then nothing. I can boot from the floppy drive,
but that's it. I am going to try idtools on them, unless somebody has a better
idea. I have used idtools a couple of times to re-format hard disks, but I
don't know much about it otherwise (no docs, of course).

The hard drive problems are not the most vexing ones, however. I have two
machines that were working at one time, but stopped suddenly for no apparent
reason. When I try to boot them, the power light comes on and stays on, but
the diagnostic light goes "flash, flash, flash, flash, flash, flash...pause"
and repeats this pattern over and over. Somebody here at Tech who has worked
rather extensively with the 3B2s suggested that maybe the boot ROMs were bad.
I swapped out the ROMs with known good ones, but nothing changed.

I took one of the machines apart, removed all the memory and peripheral cards,
and decided to start plugging things in until it broke. With nothing in it
but motherboard and floppy disk, it did a SELF CHECK, accessed the disk drive
once, and then the power light went out, but the diagnostic light stayed lit
continuously. I plugged in two 1 Meg RAM cards and got the same thing. If I
press the RESET button, then the power light comes back on and the diagnostic
light begins flashing as before. The DIAGNOSTICS won't run at all.

I tried plugging in a few periperal cards, but nothing seemed to work. At one
point, I got a CONFIGURATION FAILURE error (FW-05, I think). I know the that
the firmware errors are described in one of the manuals, but I didn't get time
to look it up (had to give a final exam today :-). This error only occurred
once, so it might have been an anomaly.

At any rate, I'm kind of stuck here unless I can get some reasonable technical
docs for these machines. I'd really hate to scrap them because they are doing
pretty much what I ask of them (plus they were free :-). I have a couple of
interesting ideas on how I would like to utilize them, so if anybody can help
me out with these problems, then I'd appreciate it.

						Jim Greenlee
--
Jim Greenlee - Instructor, School of ICS, Georgia Tech     jkg@gatech.edu

Jryy, abj lbh'ir tbar naq qbar vg! Whfg unq gb xrrc svqqyvat jvgu vg
hagvy lbh oebxr vg, qvqa'g lbh?!

thk@uxrd15.UUCP (Tom Kiermaier) (08/31/89)

In article <19137@gatech.edu> jkg@gatech.UUCP (Jim Greenlee) writes:
>reason. When I try to boot them, the power light comes on and stays on, but
>the diagnostic light goes "flash, flash, flash, flash, flash, flash...pause"
>and repeats this pattern over and over. Somebody here at Tech who has worked
>rather extensively with the 3B2s suggested that maybe the boot ROMs were bad.
>I swapped out the ROMs with known good ones, but nothing changed.

If the LED is really pulsing 6 times then you've got a very strange
machine.  Below are the usual LED pulse failure indicators:

PULSE                      CAUSE
1                   Unknown cause, rare
2                   Problem with the CPU
3                   Problem with firmware (ROMS)
4                   Problem with RAM
5                   Problem with DUART

					Tom Kiermaier