[u3b.tech] Help with rn on a AT&T 3B2

woods@robohack.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) (01/05/90)

In article <17633@netsys.netsys.COM> len@netsys.netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:

> The problem mentioned was just discussed in u3b.sources,
> with the source to libndir posted (about 2 weeks ago).

I'm getting frustrated....  Fixing rn to work on a SysVr3+ system
requires three changes in ngdata.c:  include <dirent.h> instead of
"ndir.h", and change "struct direct" to "struct dirent" in two
places.  There is no need to fix ndir.c.  There is no need to install
Doug Gwyn's dirent library (though it's a nice library, and may
actually be better than the one which is part of your libc).  This
problem has been discussed a million times I'm sure, but it seems that
the wrong answers are given still.

BTW, I would suggest that non-SysVr3+ sites make the above mentioned
changes to all programs using the directory(3{c,x}) functions, and
install Doug Gwyn's dirent library.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{robohack,gate,tmsoft,ontmoh,utgpu,gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1 416 443-1734 [h]   +1 416 595-5425 [w]   VE3-TCP   Toronto, Ontario; CANADA

len@netsys.netsys.COM (Len Rose) (01/06/90)

The only change I made to use rn (patchlevel 44), was to
install the ndir libraries..

I have had continuous problems using AT&T dirent with rn,
with re-occurring bugs cropping up in ngdata.c routines.
(i.e. marking the newsgroup read when it hits a missing
article,etc)

By installing Doug's library,I didn't have to modify
ndir.c,ngdata.c or any other part of rn. In my opinion,
this is the optimum solution.

This does get discussed often.I wish Larry's Configure
scripts would address it though.