[u3b.tech] Large drives in a 3B2 300/310/400

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (07/03/90)

We used to mount Newbury NDR-2190 drives in 3B2 that need large
hard drives. These give 144 MB formatted capacity in a 3B2.

Unfortunately, Newbury does not exist anymore, so I am looking
for an alternative drive. What other large drives will work too?
Will the Maxtor XT-2190?

We have the AT&T Devtools package. Will this do the job, or will
I need the newer IDtools package?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
--
Pim Zandbergen                            domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                           uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

sysadm@mas.UUCP (Admin) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul3.091253.13213@cti-software.nl>, pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
> We used to mount Newbury NDR-2190 drives in 3B2 that need large
> hard drives. These give 144 MB formatted capacity in a 3B2.
>
> Unfortunately, Newbury does not exist anymore, so I am looking
> for an alternative drive. What other large drives will work too?
> Will the Maxtor XT-2190?
>
> We have the AT&T Devtools package. Will this do the job, or will
> I need the newer IDtools package?
>
> Thanks in advance for your reply.
> --
> Pim Zandbergen                            domain : pim@cti-software.nl
> CTI Software BV                           uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim
> Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70             phone  : +31 70 3542302
> 2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands        fax    : +31 70 3512837

The Maxtor 2190 will work, however, I've not been able to format one past
1024 cylinders. I had two Maxtor XT1140 drives mounted in an XM module,
and when one of them burned up, I replaced it with an XT-2190.
Unfortuntely, I wound up formatting it the same as the 1140 (918x15),
cause I didn't have time to play with it.

If anybody knows how to make this work (either 1024x15 or 1224x15), please
let ME know!!

IDtools should be fine; I have DevTools and IDTools, doesn't seem to
be a whole lot of difference between them. BTW, I've heard talk of something
rumoured to be called XMTools, which will allow you to format drives that
are attached to an XM controller. Anybody know about this??

         _
        ' )--,--,                    | Marc Siegel
         /  /  / __.  __  _          | Emtronix Data Services
        /  /  (_(_/|_/ (_(_'         | Randallstown, Maryland
                                     | {uunet}!wb3ffv!mas!smarc
     I know, it's only rock-n-roll,  | smarc@mas.wb3ffv.AMPR.ORG
        but I like it.