[u3b.tech] Problems with 3B2/310 and C-FP+ compiler

ferencz@cwsys3.cwru.edu (Don Ferencz) (09/19/90)

Hi folks -- I hope someone has experience with this; I'm at the end of
my rope!

Briefly, one our 3B2/310's crashed this summer, and I finished reloading the
system (UNIX Sys V Rel 3.0) and user files.  Everything works fine, EXCEPT those
programs I compiled using the C-FP+ Compilation System ('fpcc') which
compiles code for the 32100 with the 32106 math accelerator unit (MAU).

Whenver I try to run an executable created by fpcc (include exact copies
of those created before the crash) I get:

	rn: cannot execute

It turns out the exec(2) call is failing with EFAULT, meaning "required
hardware not present".  To date, I have:

	+  Run diagnostics on the MAU -- it checks out fine,
	+  Made sure the MAU driver is contained in the kernel,
	+  Run "crash" and examined the kernel variable "mau_present" --
	   it's value is "1", the same as our other 3B2's with the MAU, and
	+  Tried nasty tricks like removing the MAU and 32100 flag bits
	   in the programs' 'filehdr' -- still doesn't work!

Has anyone ever had an experience like this?  Any ideas?  My *last* resort
is AT&T tech support...I can't even imagine working through the proper
channels with such a bizarre problem...

Thanks in advance,		Don

| Don Ferencz                       |  "And in the end/                   |
| ferencz@cwsys3.cwru.EDU           |   The love you take/                |
| Department of Systems Engineering |   Is equal to the love you make."   |
| Case Western Reserve University   |       -- The Beatles                |

paul@unhtel.uucp (Paul S. Sawyer) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep18.175341.26666@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> ferencz@cwsys3.cwru.edu (Don Ferencz) writes:

>Has anyone ever had an experience like this?  Any ideas?  My *last* resort
>is AT&T tech support...I can't even imagine working through the proper
>channels with such a bizarre problem...

Since I have made similar statements concerning AT&T's tech support, I
sort of feel I must defend them here.  If you can get them to have a tech
from Lisle (Illinois) contact you, they are VERY good at tracking down
the bizarre, and handle it very enthusiastically compared with the call-
takers who just expect to send someone out to swap boards.

Good luck!
--
Paul S. Sawyer              uunet!unh!unhtel!paul     paul@unhtel.UUCP
UNH Telecommunications        attmail!psawyer       p_sawyer@UNHH.BITNET