[net.followup] Anti-obscene phone calls ?

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (04/01/85)

> Request for info.......anti-obscene phone call device
>
> I have heard that there is a test marketing effort on in the Pennsylvania
> area where a device can be used on your phone which records the number
> ..

From what I understand about the telephone system, this would require
certain specialized equipment on the part of the Central Office Systems
involved.  The information on originating number is generally not available
the local C.O. (the one your phone is connected to).  To pass this and other
information requires Common Channel Signalling to be provided for end to
end control and information passing.  C.C.S in turn requires all digitial
equipment.CCITT is trying to establish a standard for C.C.S. (I think it's
called CCS7). Right now, the only standard information passed back is
onhook/offhook and ringing information(in other words, the minimum needed
for billing :-). Even with CCS, I'm not sure provision is made for providing
originating number info to station equipment (your phone).

I'd be interested in knowing if this was being done by the regional Bell
company or one of the interconnect companies.

George Hart, Motorola New Enterprises
{cbosgd, decvax, harpo, ihnp4}!utcs!mnetor!george

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (04/03/85)

<>
The best response to an obscene phone call was one I heard attributed to
an airline reservations worker (for Eastern?).  She got a call from some
pervert who graphically described what he was prepared to do and she
simply responded, "Well, why don't you call Delta?  They're ready when
you are."
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

sunil@ut-ngp.UUCP (Sunil Trivedi) (04/07/85)

Presently Southwestern Bell is testing an Anti-Obscene
procedure in Austin, Texas.  The procedure is as follows:

	1) Crank/Obscene Call Occurs
	2) Phone is Hung-up
	3) Then a Series of digits are pressed on phone
	   depending on whether line is tone or pulse
	4) Automatically the number that was called from
	   (caller) is sent to the police department
	   along with your phone number of course
	5) On next bill from Southwestern Bell Telephone,
	   a charge of $5 for use of this feature is
	   included

One note, at this time only a handful of exchanges are
included.  A call from an exchange not included cannot
be traced so the police will not get the caller's number
but you will still get charged for trying.  This feature
is called Automatic Trace [I believe] and is part of a
package of new services Southwestern Bell is providing.
You do not sign up for the services like Call-Waiting,
as they are present and you get charged when you use it.

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (04/07/85)

In article        sunil@ut-ngp.UUCP (Sunil Trivedi) writes:

>Presently Southwestern Bell is testing an Anti-Obscene
>procedure in Austin, Texas.  ...
>
>	3) Then a Series of digits are pressed on phone
>	   depending on whether line is tone or pulse
>	4) Automatically the number that was called from
>	   (caller) is sent to the police department
>	   along with your phone number of course

It doesn't go to the police.  To quote from Southwestern Bell:

  "The calling number and the date and time of the trace will be recorded
   by the Southwestern Bell Telephone security office.  To initiate
   further action, contact the Business Office within three days."

If you don't contact the business office and claim that you had an authentic
obscene or threatening call it appears that nothing will be done.

Dave Trissel            {seismo,gatech,ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet

john@x.UUCP (John Woods) (04/08/85)

> Presently Southwestern Bell is testing an Anti-Obscene
> procedure in Austin, Texas.  The procedure is as follows:
> 	4) Automatically the number that was called from
> 	   (caller) is sent to the police department
> 	   along with your phone number of course
> 	5) On next bill from Southwestern Bell Telephone,
> 	   a charge of $5 for use of this feature is
> 	   included

Great.  You report a crime (and worse yet, a violation of SWB's tariffs!!-)
and they charge you $5.

Next, they'll allow you to report overcharges on your phone bill for a
piddling $50 surcharge....
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

You can't spell "vile" without "vi".