[u3b.tech] 3B/310 PORTS & 9600 modem

norm@cfctech.cfc.com (Norman J. Meluch) (04/02/91)

Recently I attempted to connect a Practical Peripherals 9600SA modem up to
a 3B/310.  The machine has 2 PORTS cards, one with a couple of terminals
(running at 9600) and one with a laserjet printer (running at 9600).

All of the terminals and printer seem to work fine (ie no data loss), but
the modem was unable to do the littlest thing (at 9600) without *extream*
amounts of bits falling on the floor.  12/2400 worked fine, 4800
was difficult to test, and I have no conclusive results.

Note: I had tested the modems on a 3B/600 with an EPORTS before going to
      the customer site, and all worked well.

Contact with PP tech support was *useless*.  They had never even heard of the
AT&T 3B line of computers.  (sarcastically) And how long have they been in
the modem business?!?

Contact with AT&T Hotline suggested that my PORTS cards were not the "hpp"
version with expanded i/o utilites, and that that was what I needed in order
to guarentee proper functioning of the modem at 9600 baud.

So the question is, will the "Enhanced i/o" of a PORTS hpp card support
this modem or do I need an EPORTS card?  Anyone out there running something
similar? Anyone got the "old" card working in such a setup where I could not?

Any help will be appreciated.

						- Norm.
--
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Norman J. Meluch ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
| Mail: norm@cfctech.cfc.com           Fax:(313)948-4975  Voice:(313)948-4809 |

hpn@area88.uucp (Huy Nguyen) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr2.155931.20606@cfctech.cfc.com> norm@cfctech.cfc.com (Norman J. Meluch) writes:
>a 3B/310.  The machine has 2 PORTS cards, one with a couple of terminals
>(running at 9600) and one with a laserjet printer (running at 9600).
>
>All of the terminals and printer seem to work fine (ie no data loss), but
>the modem was unable to do the littlest thing (at 9600) without *extream*
>amounts of bits falling on the floor.  12/2400 worked fine, 4800
>was difficult to test, and I have no conclusive results.
>						- Norm.
>--

I don't know if this'll help any, but somewhere in the 3B2 Expanded Input/
Output--Capability Manual, it mentions that a ports card can be used reliably
at 9600 for *two* ports only. Beyond that, there are no guarantees.
It could be that your NCLIST is low.

Huy Nguyen					| AT&T Explorer Scouts Post 71
hpn@occrsh.att.com || attcc!area88!hpn@mwood.att.com

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) (04/04/91)

norm@cfctech.cfc.com (Norman J. Meluch) writes:

> So the question is, will the "Enhanced i/o" of a PORTS hpp card support
> this modem or do I need an EPORTS card?  Anyone out there running something
> similar? Anyone got the "old" card working in such a setup where I could not?

I have a Telebit Trailblazer+ running on a hpp PORTS card, and it
runs fine, at 9600 baud.  I can't get it to work at ALL at 19.2K,
even though I managed to get a terminal running that fast, but
it still did drop characters..

Yes, the hpp PORTS card will work, and they're cheap.  You can
easily find them under $100, even in the back of Unix Today!

Ideally, you should go for the EPORTS (8 serial and no parallel)
but they cost a little more.  I've seen them on the net
in the $200-$300 range.

They're worth it.  As soon as I save a few $$$, I'll pick one
of those up so I can run my Telebit at full speed!!!

-greg

--
Gregory A. Gulik                                        Call Gagme, a public
       greg@gagme.chi.il.us  ||  ...uunet!motcid!gulik  access UNIX system at