[u3b.tech] 3B2 SCSI Soft Power fun...

woods@robohack.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (06/27/91)

I just went through an episode that gave me a good scare.

I came home this evening to find my DM/135e with its power light out
and tons of messages spewing out on the console about a bad block 0 on
that device.  Oh-oh!  I tried an emergency power down, but it
"failed", so I logged in and tried 'telinit 0' which eventually worked.

When I tried to power back up, only the DCM/4e came on, and not even
the TM/60S!  After much goofing around and searching through the
maintenance manual, I finally looked at the SCSI Operations Manual.
A very short paragraph suggested shutting everything off *and*
disconnecting all of the power cables, and starting up from scratch.

It almost worked, but I was getting funny clicks from my new line
conditioner (TrippLite LS-600 b).  I also noticed noise on my AM radio
when I removed the power cords from units that were supposedly off.

Ah yes!  That wee paragraph said problems might occur if either
someone accidentally powered off a module, *or* if there were
un-expected power transients.

So, I removed the "line conditioner" from the power bar and went
through the disconnect procedure again before everything was stable.

I think I'll leave the line conditioner for some other application,
after I check it's output under load with a scope!  Meanwhile, I think
that I'll let those "intelligent" SCSI module power supplies fend for
themselves.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{robohack,gate,eci386,tmsoft,ontmoh}.UUCP
+1 416 443-1734 [h]   +1 416 595-5425 [w]   VE3-TCP   Toronto, Ontario; CANADA

jrallen@devildog.att.com (Jon Allen) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.021618.664@robohack.UUCP> woods@robohack.uucp (Greg A. Woods) writes:

>I just went through an episode that gave me a good scare.
>
>I came home this evening to find my DM/135e with its power light out

This happens very often at work.  Our building has several power hits per
week and quite often all the SCSI drive power lights will be out.  The
first time this happened really scared me too.  I had about 10 SCSI
items out (135s, 300s, TS60s, TS120s).  After messing around with the
power switch, I uncabled everything to swap out the controller.  Lo and
behold, it all came back up when re-cabled.  Since then I have learned
that unplugging the power to the drives for about 30seconds seems to
cure the problem.

This same thing happens if the drive overheats when the AC fails (this
happens 2-3 times a year - nice building eh?).  I sure would like to see
a schematic of the power supplies.  I can't imagine how line problems
and overheating trigger the drive to shut off and a 20 second unplug (not
just a switch off) resets the power supply.

-Jon
--
jon_r_allen@att.com   Piscataway, NJ USA

wgs@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6562000~Bill Simeon~C82~rfe~xxxx~) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.021618.664@robohack.UUCP> woods@robohack.uucp (Greg A. Woods) writes:

>I just went through an episode that gave me a good scare.
>
>I came home this evening to find my DM/135e with its power light out
>and tons of messages spewing out on the console about a bad block 0 on
>that device.  Oh-oh!  I tried an emergency power down, but it
>"failed", so I logged in and tried 'telinit 0' which eventually worked.
>
>When I tried to power back up, only the DCM/4e came on, and not even
>the TM/60S!  After much goofing around and searching through the
>maintenance manual, I finally looked at the SCSI Operations Manual.
>A very short paragraph suggested shutting everything off *and*
>disconnecting all of the power cables, and starting up from scratch.

(Stuff deleted)

Here is an excerpt from a product flash that was issued back in 1988. It
still applies!

The power supplies used in high-end 3B2 Computers (3B2/500,600,700)
and all 3B2/SCSI peripherals (excluding 9-tracks) sense the AC power line
voltage and automatically configure for either 110vac or 220vac operation.

Unfortunately, a noisy 110vac power line can, and has, cause the power
supply to attempt to reconfigure itself to 220vac operation. When this
occurs, the power supply is unable to sustain the correct output
levels, and it shuts down.

Once powered down in the manner described above, the supply must be
manually reset to its 110vac configuration before it will again operate
properly. This is because once configured for 220vac operation, the
power supply is not allowed to automatically change to a lower
voltage.

Manual reset of a power supply is accomplished by a physical disconnect
from the AC power line for a minimum of two minutes ( five minutes is
recommended ). Physical disconnect is absolutely required; the on/off
switch on the power supply will not effect a physical disconnect as
the sensing circuits are wired in front of the switch.

Troubles diagnosed to this condition are likely to occur again (the
power supplies themselves are in spec). A permanent solution is however
available  at this time through Tier 4 support in Lisle. A call to
Tier 4 support on 1-800-222-9333 will result in either a mail out of
a power supply hardwired for 110vac operation or instructions for local
modifications where repair facilities are available.

Please take immediate steps to distribute this information to all DSO
personnel involved in servicing the 3B2 product line. Questions may
be referred to me at (201) 898-6832 [RNX 964]. Thanks.
--
*  Men Make Plans		    -        And GOD Laughs                   *
*  W.G. (Bill) Simeon               |        d1wxs@nyfast.ATT.COM             *