[comp.windows.ms] The creation of comp.windows.ms.

mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM (Marc Guyott) (11/12/88)

Finally it's done 8-).  Actually it amazes me at how fast 8 weeks have
gone by.  2 weeks of discussion, 4 weeks of voting, and then 2 weeks of
miscellenia (is that really a word?) before the comp.windows.ms new group was
actually created.  Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote (both YES
and NO).  It couldn't have happened without you.

My only hope is that now that we have created this group we will generate
enough traffic to have justified the net.bandwidth we used creating it.
With that thought in mind, I would like to remind people what this group
is supposed to be about.  The following is an excerpt from the original
call for votes:

"Topics of discussion: This newsgroup will focus on discussions concerning
        the Microsoft Windows development and operating environments.  The
        discussion topics may include MS Windows documentation, MS Windows
        performance, MS Windows internals, Tools that can be used with MS
        Windows, development environments available other then Microsoft's
        SDK, hardware requirements for running MS Windows, hardware
        requirements for MS Windows development,  accessing hardware from
        within an MS Windows program, networking and MS Windows, and any
        other topics dealing with issues of concern to MS Windows developers.

Reasons for creation: Many people have expressed concern that there is
        no centralized place for discussion of issues relating to Microsoft
        Windows.  Currently these discussions take place in three places;
        comp.sys.ibm.pc, comp.windows.misc, and via a public mailing list
        that is unknown to many people who have an interest in MS Windows."

So here we are.  I guess I should start off the newsgroup with some sort
of meaningful content in this posting (the earlier stuff kinda sounds like
George Bushes acceptance speech 8-) so here is a question for people:

Has anyone actually gotten Codeview to work with Windows 2.1 using an EGA
monitor for Windows and a monochrome monitor for Codeview?  We will be
trying to get this setup working as soon as we receive our hercules monochrome
graphics boards and our 2MB expanded memory boards but I'm wondering if anyone
has already been able to get this type of setup to work?

Another question I have is has anyone tried to set up 2 versions of Windows
on their hard disk so that they could run from one directory (say WINEGA)
and use the color monitor and then run from the other directory (say WINMONO)
and use a monochrome monitor with a hercules graphics adapter?  I know that
you can change from one monitor to the other via "mode mono" and "mode co80"
commands and I'm hoping that if the mono monitor is currently active and
you run windows from the WINMONO directory that things will run on the mono
monitor.  We need to be able to do this so we can test the product we are
developing on both color and mono monitors.  I'll find out when we get all
of our hardware but until then I thought I would see if anyone else has
already tried this.

Anyway, welcome to comp.windows.ms and thanks again to everyone who helped
make this possible (and especially to my sys admin, John Petersen 8-).

                                                          Marc
----
              "All my life I always wanted to BE somebody.
               I see now I should have been more specific."
                      Jane Wagner (but I agree 8-)
Marc Guyott                                         mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!mguyott
Mirror Systems	Cambridge, MA  02140                617/661-0777

mallett@cg-atla.UUCP (Bruce Mallett) (11/15/88)

In article <19634@mirror.TMC.COM> mguyott@prism.TMC.COM (Marc Guyott) writes:

>Another question I have is has anyone tried to set up 2 versions of Windows
>on their hard disk so that they could run from one directory (say WINEGA)
>and use the color monitor and then run from the other directory (say WINMONO)
>and use a monochrome monitor with a hercules graphics adapter?  I know that

My solution was to setup a subdirectory under \WINDOWS called CONFIG.  In
\WINDOWS I have a debug version of WINDOWS installed (the so-called "slow-boot"
which it is not) and in \WINDOWS\CONFIG I have all of the .GRB, .LGO, .FON,
and .DRV files that I need to go from VGA to EGA to Toshiba 3200.  In this
directory is also a makefile which simply contains the appropriate COPY commands
to move all-the-right-stuff into place.  With NDMAKE I can now make whatever
configuration I want:

	make ega
	make vga
	make t3200