[comp.windows.ms] WINEGA and WINMONO directories...

todd@metheus.UUCP (Todd Stewart) (11/15/88)

In article <19634@mirror.TMC.COM> mguyott@prism.TMC.COM (Marc Guyott) writes:
>Another question I have is has anyone tried to set up 2 versions of Windows
>on their hard disk so that they could run from one directory (say WINEGA)
>and use the color monitor and then run from the other directory (say WINMONO)
>and use a monochrome monitor with a hercules graphics adapter?

Yes, I do this regularly to test out new display drivers for various hi-res
graphics systems.  The trick is to run setup separately for each desired
configuration, giving each its own boot directory.  Win.com, win200.bin,
win200.ovl, winoldap.grb, and winoldap.mod must be unique for each display
subsystem.  Win.ini and autoload .drv files need not be unique, but must be
present in each boot directory.  All other windows apps, pifs, etc. can be kept
in a neutral common directory if you need to save disk space.

		-Todd Stewart
		 METHEUS ... the graphics company