[comp.windows.ms] MacDraw like program for Windows/286

adamb@tigger.colorado.edu (Adam 'Buzz' Beguelin) (11/15/88)

I want an object based drawing program for my Windows/286.  Something
like MacDraw or Adobe Illustrator would be nice.  I have seen
a reference to Micrografix Designer for Windows but it cost ~$300!

Does anyone have experience with Micrografix Designer or Windows Draw?
Do you know where I can get it cheap?  Are there any other object
based drawing programs for windows?  Should I just buy a Mac?

Adam
Adam Beguelin 			Computer Science Department Box 430
adamb@boulder.Colorado.Edu		     University of Colorado
303/492-7906				      Boulder, CO 80309-430

akm@uoregon.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (11/15/88)

There is a shareware program called XVT-DRAW, which is object based.
It is not great, but you might want to take a look at it.

kartik

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) (11/16/88)

In article <4636@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, adamb@tigger.colorado.edu (Adam 'Buzz' Beguelin) writes:
> I want an object based drawing program for my Windows/286.  Something
> like MacDraw or Adobe Illustrator would be nice.  I have seen
> a reference to Micrografix Designer for Windows but it cost ~$300!

You might try XVT-DRAW by Marc Rochkind...  You can find it on various
BBS systems or contact:

Marc Rochkind
Advanced Programming Institute
P.O. Box 17665
Boulder, CO  80308

It's $25 shareware!

robert@hemingway.WEITEK.COM (Robert Plamondon) (11/16/88)

In article <4636@boulder.Colorado.EDU> adamb@tigger.colorado.edu (Adam 'Buzz' Beguelin) writes:
>I want an object based drawing program for my Windows/286.  Something
>like MacDraw or Adobe Illustrator would be nice.  I have seen
>a reference to Micrografix Designer for Windows but it cost ~$300!

I've used In*a*Vision, which is somewhere between Windows Draw and
Micrografx Designer in capability (it was replaced by Micrografx
Designer). Windows Draw has most of the capabilities, and based on my
limited experience with macs seems to be a good "color MacDraw clone."

	-- Robert
--
    Robert Plamondon
    robert@weitek.COM

rich@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com (Rich Hume) (11/16/88)

In article <3159@uoregon.uoregon.edu> akm@drizzle.UUCP (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:

>There is a shareware program called XVT-DRAW, which is object based.
>It is not great, but you might want to take a look at it.

If XVT-DRAW is shareware, can you post it to comp.sources.pc?

pa1022@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1022) (11/16/88)

In article <4636@boulder.Colorado.EDU> adamb@tigger.colorado.edu (Adam 'Buzz' Beguelin) writes:
>I want an object based drawing program for my Windows/286.  Something
>like MacDraw or Adobe Illustrator would be nice.  I have seen

On Simtel20 there is a program called XVT-Draw.  It's an
object-based drawing program, but to exchange data you have to go
through the clipboard (and thus convert the objects to bitmaps).

Eric Hedstrom
pa1022%iugrad2@ucsd.edu

mcmillan@dory.cis.ohio-state.edu (Harold McMillan) (11/17/88)

XVT-DRAW is available on CompuServe (go msoft).  I have tried it and it
does handle graphics as objects pretty well.  It has misaligned arrowheads
on lines and it does not allow rotation of objects, but you can flip them
vertically or horizontally.  I think you will have a hard time beating it
for $25.
-=-
Hal McMillan                          |
mcmillan@io.cis.ohio-state.edu        |   "Open the pod bay doors, HAL".
CompuServe 72627,642                  |

onguyen@hawk.ulowell.edu (11/27/88)

 I've been using Micrografx Designer and I think it's a nice package, you
 get full color (16 on EGA) and lots of options.

 The price is about $250.