[comp.windows.ms] LINK4 problem

mdh@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Hampton) (12/02/88)

I have a problem with LINK4. I'm using a "link file" (ie,
LINK$ @linkfile). At the moment, I have about 15 .OBJ files on the first
line (which specifies what the object files are). The linker aborts with
a fatal error, stating that the line is too long. I tried to break up
the line, and I placed a "\" on the end of the first line, hoping that
it would act like RC and take that as a continuation character. That
didn't work, though.
Has anyone have an idea on how to get around this problem? The only way
I can think of is to rename all of the .OBJ files to be a 1 character
file name.
Thanks in advance.

Mark Hampton

In Real Life: Mark Hampton  | Internet: mdh@beach.cis.ufl.edu

billc@mirror.TMC.COM (Bill Callahan) (12/02/88)

In article <19503@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mdh@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>I have a problem with LINK4. I'm using a "link file" (ie,
>LINK$ @linkfile). At the moment, I have about 15 .OBJ files on the first
>line (which specifies what the object files are). The linker aborts with
>a fatal error, stating that the line is too long. I tried to break up
>the line, and I placed a "\" on the end of the first line, hoping that

Close!  The thing you need to put at the end of a line is a '+.'  The '+'
tells LINK4 that the next line will be a coninuation of the list of
objects.

Bill Callahan			 billc@mirror.TMC.COM
		{mit-eddie, pyramid, wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!billc
Mirror Systems
2067 Massachusetts Ave.		617\661-0777	x149
Cambridge, MA  02140

fredei@microsoft.UUCP (Fred Einstein) (12/03/88)

Mark,
	Try a + instead of a \.